DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Join the DrugPatentWatch Referral Program Get access to a free drug patent landscape report or a free one-month subscription
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 10,267,754
|Title:||Assessing biopharmaceutical aggregation using magnetic resonance relaxometry|
|Abstract:||The present invention generally relates to a method of using NMR relaxation rates (R.sub.2) of water molecules as an indicator of the extent of aggregation of biopharmaceutical formulations. The biopharmaceutical can be evaluated nondestructively without the vial or container being opened or protective seal compromised (i.e., broken). The method is applicable to all biopharmaceuticals and the water signal obtained by magnetic resonance relaxometry is very strong and sensitive because water is used as the solvent and is present in high (>90%) concentrations in every biopharmaceutical formulation.|
|Inventor(s):||Yu; Yihua Bruce (Baltimore, MD), Taraban; Marc (Baltimore, MD), Feng; Yue (Baltimore, MD)|
|Assignee:||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A method of measuring an extent of aggregation of a biopharmaceutical in a biopharmaceutical-containing product, said method comprising: measuring the transverse
relaxation rate of water R.sub.2 in the biopharmaceutical-containing product, wherein the biopharmaceutical-containing product is contained in a vial; and comparing the measured R.sub.2 of water to a calibration curve to determine the extent of
aggregation of the biopharmaceutical in the vial, wherein the water R.sub.2 is measured without opening the vial or otherwise accessing the contents of the vial containing the biopharmaceutical-containing product.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the R.sub.2 is measured using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the calibration curve is prepared by plotting relaxation rate R.sub.2 versus the extent of known aggregation at a given temperature.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the R.sub.2 can be measured without adding any additives to the vial containing the biopharmaceutical-containing product.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the biopharmaceutical is selected from the group consisting of a protein, a peptide, a nucleic acid, and a polysaccharide.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the biopharmaceutical is selected from the group consisting of a hormone, a blood factor, an interferon, a haematopoietic growth factor, an interleukin-based product, a vaccine, and a monoclonal antibody.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the biopharmaceutical is selected from the group consisting of bovine serum albumin, human serum albumin, human .gamma.-globulin, insulin, glucagon, gonadotrophins, growth hormone, erythropoetin, Factor VIII, Factor IX, thrombolytic agents, interferon-.alpha., interferon-.beta., interferon-.gamma., interleukin-2, influenza vaccine, adalimumab, rituximab, infliximab, trastuzumab, ustekinumab, denosumab, golimumab, Fc fragments, Fab fragments, intravenous immunoglobulin (WIG), tumor necrosis factor, abatacept, alefacept, etanercept, denileukin diftitox, OPTISON, NEUPOGEN, albumin, and ribonuclease A.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the extent of aggregation is the % aggregation of the biopharmaceutical, the concentration of the biopharmaceutical aggregates, or the molecular weight of the biopharmaceutical aggregates.
9. The method of claim 1, further comprising comparing the extent of aggregation to the maximum acceptable extent of aggregation to determine if the biopharmaceutical is still viable.
Summary for Patent: Start Trial
|PCT Filed||April 11, 2014||PCT Application Number:||PCT/US2014/033833|
|PCT Publication Date:||October 16, 2014||PCT Publication Number:||WO2014/169229|
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Amgen||NEUPOGEN||filgrastim||VIAL||103353||001||1991-02-20||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||search|
|Amgen||NEUPOGEN||filgrastim||VIAL||103353||002||1991-02-20||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||search|
|Amgen||NEUPOGEN||filgrastim||SYRINGE||103353||003||1991-02-20||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||search|
|Amgen||NEUPOGEN||filgrastim||SYRINGE||103353||004||1991-02-20||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||search|
|Genentech||RITUXAN||rituximab||VIAL||103705||001||1997-11-26||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||Orphan||search|
|Eisai Inc||ONTAK||denileukin diftitox||VIAL||103767||001||1999-02-05||Start Trial||UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (Baltimore, MD)||2033-04-12||RX||Orphan||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.