DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 10,105,356
|Title:||Aerosol pirfenidone and pyridone analog compounds and uses thereof|
|Abstract:||Disclosed herein are formulations of pirfenidone or pyridone analog compounds for aerosolization and use of such formulations for aerosol administration of pirfenidone or pyridone analog compounds for the prevention or treatment of various fibrotic and inflammatory diseases, including disease associated with the lung, heart, kidney, liver, eye and central nervous system. In some embodiments, pirfenidone or pyridone analog compound formulations and delivery options described herein allow for efficacious local delivery of pirfenidone or pyridone analog compound. Compositions include all formulations, kits, and device combinations described herein. Methods include inhalation procedures, indications and manufacturing processes for production and use of the compositions described.|
|Inventor(s):||Surber; Mark William (San Diego, CA)|
|Assignee:||Avalyn Pharma Inc. (Seattle, WA)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A method for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in an adult human in need thereof, the method comprising: administering one or more respirable delivered doses
per day of an aqueous solution comprising pirfenidone, by a liquid nebulizer, to the human in need thereof; the aqueous solution comprising water and pirfenidone at a concentration from about 5.0 mg/mL to about 19 mg/mL, the aqueous solution having an
osmolality of from about 50 mOsmol/kg to about 2000 mOsmol/kg, wherein the daily respirable delivered dose is at least 0.8 mg of pirfenidone; wherein the total daily respirable delivered dosage of pirfenidone administered to the human by the liquid
nebulizer does not exceed 1.933 mg/kg body mass/day, wherein the respirable delivered dose is therapeutically effective to treat IPF by reducing decline in forced vital capacity (FVC) in the lung of the adult human.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the aqueous solution further comprises: an additional ingredient-selected from the group consisting of co-solvents, tonicity agents, sweeteners, surfactants, wetting agents, chelating agents, anti-oxidants, salts, taste masking agents, and buffers and combinations thereof.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the aqueous solution of each respirable delivered dose further comprises: a buffer selected from a citrate buffer and a phosphate buffer, and one or more salts selected from the group consisting of sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, sodium bromide, magnesium bromide, calcium chloride and calcium bromide and combinations thereof.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the aqueous solution of each respirable delivered dose comprises: water; one or more salts, wherein the total amount of the one or more salts is from about 0.01% to about 2.0% by weight of the weight of aqueous solution; and optionally a phosphate buffer or a citrate buffer that maintains the pH of the solution below about pH 8; and the osmolality of the of the aqueous solution is from about 50 mOsmol/kg to about 2000 mOsmol/kg.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the liquid nebulizer: (i) after administration of each respirable delivered dose, achieves lung deposition of at least 5% of the pirfenidone administered to the human; (ii) provides: a) a mass median aerodynamic diameter (MMAD) of droplet size of the aqueous solution emitted with the high efficiency liquid nebulizer of about 0.5 .mu.m to about 5 .mu.m; and/or b) a volumetric mean diameter (VIVID) of about 0.5 .mu.m to about 5 .mu.m; (iii) provides a Geometric Standard Deviation (GSD) of emitted droplet size distribution of the aqueous solution of about 1.0 .mu.m to about 3.4 .mu.m; (iv) provides a fine particle fraction (FPF=% of aerosol particles.ltoreq.5 .mu.m) of droplets emitted from the liquid nebulizer of at least about 30%; (v) provides an output rate of at least 0.1 mL/min; and/or (vi) provides at least about 25% of the aqueous solution to the human.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein: the blood AUC.sub.0-24 of pirfenidone achieved upon administration of each respirable delivered dose to the lungs of the adult human is less than or equivalent to the blood AUC.sub.0-24 achieved upon administration of an 801 mg orally administered dosage of pirfenidone to the adult human.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the pirfenidone is administered on a continuous daily dosing schedule.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the pirfenidone is administered once a day, twice a day, three times a day, or four times a day.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the method further comprises administration of one or more additional therapeutic agents to the adult human.
10. The method of claim 5, wherein: a) the lung tissue C.sub.max of pirfenidone obtained in the human upon administration of each respirable delivered dose is at least equivalent to or greater than a lung C.sub.max achievable upon administration of 801 mg of an orally administered dosage of pirfenidone to the human; and/or b) the blood AUC.sub.0-24 of pirfenidone obtained in the human upon administration of each respirable delivered dose is less than a blood AUC.sub.0-24 achievable upon administration of 801 mg of an orally administered dosage of pirfenidone to the adult human.
11. The method of claim 5, wherein: each respirable delivered dose from the liquid nebulizer is delivered in less than about 30 minutes with mass median diameter (MMAD) particles sizes from about 1 to about 5 microns.
12. The method of claim 4, wherein the administering step is comprised of inhaling the respirable delivered does within 20 minutes.
13. The method of claim 1, wherein the method further comprises administration of an additional therapeutic agents to the human, selected from the group consisting of interferon gamma, interferon beta-1a, pentraxin-2, N-acetyl-L-cysteine, GS-6624, IW001, PRM-151, STX-100, CC-930, QAX576, FG-3019, CNTO-888, ESBRIET.RTM.(pirfenidone).TM., BIBF-1120, antibodies targeting IL-13 ligand or receptor, antibodies targeting alpha-v beta-6 integrin, antibodies targeting CTGF ligand or receptor, antibodies targeting CCL2 ligand or receptor, small molecules targeting vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) ligand or receptor, small molecules targeting platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) ligand or receptor, small molecules targeting fibroblast growth factor (FGF) ligand or receptor, antibodies targeting LOXL2, small molecules targeting Jun kinase, and small molecules targeting TGF-beta and combinations thereof.
14. The method of claim 12, wherein each dose comprises has a volume of between about 0.5 mL and about 10 mL of the aqueous solution loaded into the liquid nebulizer and the aqueous solution comprises pirfenidone at a concentration of from about 5.0 mg/mL to about 19 mg/mL.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Approval Date||Patent No.||Expiredate|
|Biogen Inc.||AVONEX||interferon beta-1a||For Injection||103628||1996-05-17||⤷ Try it Free||2031-01-31|
|Biogen Inc.||AVONEX||interferon beta-1a||Injection||103628||2003-05-28||⤷ Try it Free||2031-01-31|
|Biogen Inc.||AVONEX||interferon beta-1a||Injection||103628||2012-02-27||⤷ Try it Free||2031-01-31|
|Emd Serono, Inc.||REBIF||interferon beta-1a||Injection||103780||2002-03-07||⤷ Try it Free||2031-01-31|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Expiredate|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.