|Title:||Device for readying a needle free injector for delivery|
|Abstract:||A needle-free injector device comprising a latch having a safe position which disables the triggering of the device, and a ready position which restrains movement of a dispensing member but enables triggering and a triggered position which permits movement of the dispensing member is disclosed. An additional safety mechanism blocks the triggering of the device until removed. A cap is provided to maintain the sterility and stability of the drug formulation and is configured such that the cap removal is required prior to placing the device in a ready to trigger state.|
|Inventor(s):||Schuster; Jeffrey A. (Bolinas, CA), Bridges; Paul Stuart (Menlo Park, CA), Gibbins; Graham (Hayward, CA), Reid; Nicola (Emeryville, CA)|
|Assignee:||ZOGENIX, INC. (Emeryville, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 30, 2012|
|Claims:||1. A needle free injector, comprising: a cap comprising an orifice seal covering an injection orifice of the injector; a collar section comprising a trigger blocking mechanism locked rigidly to the cap; an upper sleeve and a medication cartridge; a trigger mechanism; wherein the trigger blocking mechanism, prevents the medication cartridge from moving toward the upper sleeve, thereby preventing delivery; wherein the removal of the orifice seal is mechanically linked to the disengagement of the trigger blocking mechanism; wherein rotating the collar section and trigger blocking mechanism about a longitudinal axis of the injector removes the trigger blocking mechanism thereby placing the injector in a ready to trigger state: wherein the injector is configured such that the injector cannot be placed in the ready to trigger state prior to removal of the cap; wherein the injector is configured so that removing the orifice seal cannot trigger the delivery of the device; wherein the injector is configured such that pressing the delivery orifice against the delivery site triggers the device to deliver; wherein pressing the delivery orifice against the delivery site moves the medication cartridge toward the upper sleeve; and wherein the movement of the medication cartridge toward the upper sleeve forces an aperture in the wall of the upper sleeve into alignment with a component of the trigger mechanism. |
2. The needle free injector of claim 1, wherein the injector is triggered when the component of the trigger mechanism is aligned with the aperture, and moves into the aperture under the force of the trigger mechanism.
3. The needle free injector of claim 2, wherein the component of the trigger mechanism is a latch which engages a dispensing member.
4. The needle free injector of claim 3, wherein said latch has a first, safe position, and second, ready to deliver position.
5. The needle free injector of claim 4, wherein the latch in the first, safe position engages a locking surface in a groove in the dispensing member, said locking surface being perpendicular to a longitudinal axis of the dispensing member.
6. The needle free injector of claim 5, wherein the latch in the second, ready to deliver position engages a cam surface in the groove in the dispensing member.
7. The needle free injector of claim 6, wherein the cam surface generates the force of the trigger mechanism.
8. The needle free injector of claim 7, further comprising: a pin inside of the collar section.
9. The needle free injector of claim 8, wherein the pin extends into the device through an opening.
10. The needle free injector of claim 9, wherein the pin is in contact with a cam surface on an inner surface of the collar section.
11. The needle free injector of claim 10, wherein as the collar rotates, the action of the cam surface pushes the pin against the latch moving it from the first, safe position to the second, ready to deliver position.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.