Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Dose counters for inhalers, inhalers and methods of assembly thereof|
|Abstract:||A manually operated metered dose inhaler includes a dose counter chamber including a dose display tape driven by a ratchet wheel which is driven in turn by an actuator pawl actuated by movement of a canister, the tape unwinding from a stock bobbin during use of the inhaler, a rotation regulator being provided for the stock bobbin and including a wavelike engagement surface with concavities which engage against control elements in the form of protrusions on resilient forks of a split pin thereby permitting incremental unwinding of the stock bobbin yet resisting excessive rotation if the inhaler is dropped onto a hard surface.|
|Inventor(s):||Walsh; Declan (Co. Kilkenny, IE), Fenlon; Derek (Co. Wexford, IE), Kaar; Simon (Co. Cork, IE), Hazenberg; Jan Geert (Co. Kilkenny, IE), Buck; Dan (Co. Waterford, IE), Clancy; Paul (Waterford, IE), Uschold; Robert Charles (Leominster, MA), Karg; Jeffrey A. (Hopkinton, MA)|
|Assignee:||Teva Pharmaceuticals Ireland (Utrecht, NL) Norton Waterford (Utrecht, NL) IVAX Pharmaceuticals Ireland (Utrecht, NL)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 11, 2013|
|Claims:||1. A method of manufacturing an incremental dose counter for an inhaler comprising: calculating nominal canister fire and dose counter positions for a dose counter actuator of the inhaler; calculating a failure/success rate for dose counters built to tolerance levels for counting each fire of inhalers in which the dose counter actuators may be applied; and selecting a tolerance level to result in said failure/success rate to be at or below/above a predetermined value; and manufacturing the dose counter to the selected tolerance level. |
2. A computer implemented method of designing an incremental dose counter for an inhaler which includes a method as claimed in claim 1.
3. A method of manufacturing in a production run a series of incremental dose counters for inhalers which comprises manufacturing a series of dose counters in accordance with a method of manufacturing as claimed in claim 1.
4. The method of claim 1 further comprising manufacturing the dose counter with nominal canister fire and dose count positions of a dose counter actuator relative to a dose counter chassis or inhaler main body.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein prior to the calculating steps, the method comprises entering data that is used in a mathematical calculation to predict count failure rates when the various dose counters are to be built in a series with dose counter positions set with given averages and standard deviations.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the prediction accounts for momentum/inertia effects.
7. The method of claim 5, wherein the prediction accounts for metering valve user-back-pressure reduction effect which will occur upon canister firing of a given type of canister.
8. The method of claim 1 further comprising forming an actuation pin on the dose counter actuator that is arranged to be driven in response to canister motion.
9. The method of claim 8 further comprising forming an actuator pawl that extends from the actuator pin that is arranged to drive an incremental output member in response to canister motion.
10. The method of claim 9 further comprising forming a pawl tooth member having an angled surface on an end of the actuator pawl that is arranged to engage a tooth on the incremental output member.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.