Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Sustained drug release composition|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a sustained release formulation for delivering one or more pharmaceutically active agents. The formulation comprises cross-linked high amylose starch and at least one pharmaceutically active agent, and optionally can be subdivided into smaller dosage forms where the smaller dosage forms have substantially the same sustained release properties as the formulation from which they were derived. The formulations can provide sustained release for up to at least 24 hours, and because of their divisability permits a recipient of the active agent or the person administering the active agent to titrate the dosage of the agent.|
|Inventor(s):||Gervais; Sonia (Laval, CA), Smith; Damon (Saint-Laurent, CA), Contamin; Pauline (Magny en Vexin, FR), Ouzerourou; Rachid (Anjou, CA), Ma; My Linh (Saint-Laurent, CA)|
|Assignee:||Angelini Labopharm, LLC (Princeton, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 15, 2010|
|Claims:||1. A solid, monolithic sustained release pharmaceutical composition having an outer surface, the composition comprising: a. a sustained release matrix having a solvent accessible surface, the matrix comprising from about 20% to about 60% by weight of cross-linked high amylose starch; and b. an effective amount of at least one pharmaceutically active agent disposed within the matrix, the composition having a hardness in the range of from about 100 N to about 350 N, and the outer surface of the composition defining a score that permits the composition to be fractured along the score to produce at least two subunits, wherein at least one of the subunits and the composition from which it was derived have substantially the same release kinetics of the active agent disposed therein, and wherein at least one of the subunits created by fracturing the composition has a new solvent accessible surface that is capable of forming a barrier upon contact with a solvent. |
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition, when administered to a mammal, achieves an effective plasma concentration of the active agent from at least about 1 hour to at least about 24 hours after initial administration.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein at least one of the subunits and the composition from which it was derived have dissolution profiles of the active agent that have a similarity factor of at least 50%.
4. The composition of claim 3, wherein the similarity factor is at least 55%.
5. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition has a hardness in the range of from about 100 N to about 180 N.
6. The composition of claim 1, wherein the subunits and the intact composition from which they are derived are bioequivalent.
7. The composition of claim 1 comprising from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the active ingredient and from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the starch.
8. The composition of claim 7 comprising from about 35% to about 50% by weight of the active ingredient and from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the starch.
9. The composition of claim 1, wherein the starch is crosslinked with phosphorus oxychloride.
10. The composition of claim 1, wherein the starch comprises hydroxypropyl side chains.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.