Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Low dosage forms of risedronate or its salts|
|Abstract:||Oral dosage forms comprising risedronate or a salt thereof, a chelating agent, and means for effecting delayed release of the risedronate (or salt) immediate release of the oral dosage form to the small intestine of the mammal subject and pharmaceutically effective absorption of the bisphosphonate with or without food or beverages. The present invention substantially alleviates the interaction between the risedronate (or salt) and food or beverages, which interaction results in the active ingredient not being available for absorption. The resulting oral dosage form may thus be taken with or without food. Further, disclosed is delivery of risedronate and the chelating agent to the small intestine, substantially alleviating the upper GI irritation associated with bisphosphonate therapies. These benefits simplify previously complex treatment regimens and can lead to increased patient compliance with bisphosphonate therapies.|
|Inventor(s):||Dansereau; Richard John (Cincinnati, OH), Burgio, Jr.; David Ernest (Liberty Township, OH)|
|Assignee:||Warner Chilcott Company, LLC (Fajardo, PR)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 14, 2009|
|Claims:||1. An oral dosage form comprising: (a) from about 15 mg to about 25 mg of a bisphosphonate selected from the group consisting of risedronate and salts thereof; (b) from about 10 mg to about 1000 mg of ethylenediaminetetraacetate (EDTA) or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof; and (c) a delayed release mechanism to immediately release the bisphosphonate and the EDTA or pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof in the small intestine. |
2. The oral dosage form of claim 1 wherein the bisphosphonate is risedronate sodium.
3. The oral dosage form of claim 2 wherein the EDTA is disodium EDTA.
4. The oral dosage form of claim 2 wherein the delayed release mechanism is selected from the group consisting of pH triggered delivery systems, time dependent delivery systems and mixtures thereof.
5. The oral dosage form of claim 4 wherein the delayed release mechanism is a pH triggered delivery system.
6. The oral dosage form of claim 5 wherein the pH triggered delivery system comprises an enteric coating.
7. The oral dosage form of claim 6 wherein the enteric coating comprises methacrylic acid copolymer.
8. The oral dosage form of claim 7 comprising from about 55 mg to about 500 mg of the disodium EDTA.
9. The oral dosage form of claim 8 comprising from about 75 mg to about 250 mg of the disodium EDTA.
10. The oral dosage form of claim 9 comprising about 20 mg of the risedronate sodium.
11. The oral dosage form of claim 9 wherein the delayed release mechanism comprises a methacrylic acid copolymer.
12. The oral dosage form of claim 11 comprising about 20 mg of the risedronate sodium.
13. The oral dosage form of claim 12 comprising about 100 mg of the disodium EDTA.
14. The oral dosage form of claim 9 comprising about 25 mg of the risedronate sodium.
15. The oral dosage form of claim 11 comprising about 25 mg of the risedronate sodium.
16. The oral dosage form of claim 15 comprising about 100 mg of the disodium EDTA.
17. The oral dosage form of claim 16, wherein the methacrylic acid copolymer is poly(methacrylic acid, ethyl acrylate) 1:1.
18. The oral dosage form of any one of claims 6, 7, 11, 13 and 14 to 17, wherein the enteric coating does not entirely dissolve or disintegrate until the dosage form enters the small intestine.
19. The oral dosage form of claim 18, wherein the enteric coating dissolves at a pH of about 5.5 or above and below a pH of about 6.5.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.