Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Preparation of bile acids and intermediates thereof|
|Abstract:||Synthetic methods for preparing deoxycholic acid and intermediates thereof are provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Prasad; Achampeta Rathan (Hyderabad, IN), Swaringen, Jr.; Roy A. (Durham, NC), Reid; John Gregory (Niskayuma, NY), Moriarty; Robert M. (Michiana Shores, IN), Sahoo; Akhila Kumar (Bhubaneswar, IN)|
|Assignee:||Kythera Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. (Calabasas, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 20, 2011|
|Claims:||1. A method for preparing deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof which method comprises: a) hydrogenation of a compound of formula 129: ##STR00029## with hydrogen so as to provide compound of formula 130: ##STR00030## where P is a hydroxyl protecting group and R is C.sub.1-C.sub.6 alkyl; b) contacting compound 130 with lithium aluminum tri-t-butoxy hydride to provide compound 131: ##STR00031## and c) deprotection and hydrolysis of compound 131 to provide for deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein P is acetyl and R is methyl.
3. A method for preparing deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof which method comprises: a) hydrogenation of a compound of formula 129a: ##STR00032## wherein Ac is acetyl, with hydrogen in the presence of 10% palladium on carbon and ethyl acetate to provide compound of formula 130a: ##STR00033## b) contacting compound 130a with lithium aluminum tri-t-butoxy hydride in the presence of tetrahydrofuran to provide compound 131a: ##STR00034## and c) deacetylation and hydrolysis of compound 131a in the presence of sodium hydroxide and a mixture of tetrahydrofuran and methanol to provide for deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof.
4. The method of claim 3 which further comprises crystallization of deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof as produced in part c).
5. A method for preparing a compound of formula 1.1: ##STR00035## comprising hydrogenation of a compound of formula 1.0: ##STR00036## with H.sub.2 in the presence of a Pd/C catalyst and DMF.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the Pd/C catalyst is 10% Pd/C.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the compound of formula 1.1 is more than 99% pure.
8. A method for preparing deoxycholic acid (DCA) or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof: ##STR00037## said method comprising (a) hydrogenation of 9.alpha.-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3,17-dione 1.0 with H.sub.2 in the presence of a Pd/C catalyst to form compound 1.1 ##STR00038## (b) reacting compound 1.1 with H.sub.2SO.sub.4 to form compound 1.2 ##STR00039## (c) reacting compound 1.2 with LiA1(OtBu).sub.3H to form compound 1.3 or a mixture of 1.3 and 1.4 ##STR00040## (d) reacting compound 1.3 with Ph.sub.3PCH.sub.2CH.sub.3 .sup.+Br to form compound 1.5 ##STR00041## (e) converting compound 1.5 to a compound of formula 1.6 ##STR00042## (f) reacting the compound of formula 1.6 with methylpropiolate of the formula CH.ident.CC(O)OCH.sub.3 or methyl acrylate of the formula CH.sub.2.dbd.CHC(O)OCH.sub.3, in the presence of EtAlCl.sub.2 to form a compound of formula 1.7 wherein, and the dashed line is a single or double bond; ##STR00043## (g) hydrogenation of the compound of formula 1.7 with H.sub.2 to form a compound of formula 1.8 ##STR00044## (h) oxidation of the compound of formula 1.8 to form a compound of formula 1.9 ##STR00045## (i) hydrogenation of the compound of formula 1.9 with H.sub.2 in the presence of a Pd/C catalyst to form a compound of formula 2.0 ##STR00046## (j) reacting the compound of formula 2.0 with LiAl(OtBu).sub.3H to form a compound of formula 2.1 ##STR00047## and (k) deacetylation and hydrolysis of the compound of formula 2.1 to form deoxycholic acid or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
9. The method of claim 8 which further comprises crystallization of deoxycholic acid or a salt thereof as produced in part (k).
10. The method of claim 8, wherein the Pd/C catalyst in step (a) is 10% Pd/C.
11. The method of claim 8, wherein the hydrogenation is carried out in DMF.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.