Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Effervescent oral opiate dosage forms and methods of administering opiates|
|Abstract:||Opiate containing dosage forms and methods using same are described. These dosage forms include substantially less opiates by weight than known oral formulations. These dosage forms are intended for oral administration across the oral mucosa.|
|Inventor(s):||Moe; Derek (Mound, MN)|
|Assignee:||Cephalon, Inc. (Frazer, PA)|
|Filing Date:||Nov 29, 2010|
|Claims:||1. A dosage form comprising: about 20 to about 200,000 micrograms of an oxycodone, about 15 to about 60% of an effervescent material, wherein said effervescent material comprises an acid source and a source of a reactive base; about 0.5 to about 25% w/w of a pH adjusting substance, wherein said pH adjusting substance is different from the acid source and the reactive base in the effervescent material, a filler, wherein said filler is mannitol; and a starch glycolate, wherein said dosage form is configured for the delivery of said oxycodone and salts thereof across the oral mucosa as a consequence of buccal, gingival or sublingual administration. |
2. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein said pH adjusting substance provides a localized pH of 3 to 10.
3. The dosage form of claim 2, wherein said pH adjusting substance can change the localized pH by at least 0.5 pH units.
4. The dosage form at claim 3 wherein said pH adjusting substance can change the localized pH by at least 1.0 pH units.
5. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein said pH adjusting substance is a carbonate or bicarbonate.
6. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein said starch glycolate is provided in an amount of about 0.5 to about 15% w/w.
7. The dosage form of claim 1 having a mean dwell time in the mouth of a patient of about 5 to about 30 minutes when administered by buccal, gingival or sublingual routes.
8. The dosage form of claim 1 further comprising a binder, a sweetener, a coloring component, a flavor, a glidant, a lubricant, a preservative, a filler and a disintegrant.
9. The dosage form of claim 1 packed in an F1 or F2 blister package.
10. The dosage form according to claim 1 wherein said pH adjusting substance is present in an amount of about 5% to about 15% w/w.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.