Generated: April 25, 2017
|Title:||Residual solvent extraction method and microparticles produced thereby|
|Abstract:||Methods for preparing microparticles having reduced residual solvent levels. Microparticles are contacted with a non-aqueous washing system to reduce the level of residual solvent in the microparticles. Preferred non-aqueous washing systems include 100% ethanol and a blend of ethanol and heptane. A solvent blend of a hardening solvent and a washing solvent can be used to harden and wash microparticles in a single step, thereby eliminating the need for a post-hardening wash step.|
|Inventor(s):||Rickey; Michael E. (Morrow, OH), Ramstack; J. Michael (Lunenburg, MA), Kumar; Rajesh (Marlborough, MA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Pharma Ireland Limited (Dublin, IE)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 14, 2010|
|Claims:||1. A method for preparing microparticles, comprising: preparing a first phase comprising an active agent; a biodegradable, biocompatible polymer; and a solvent; preparing a continuous second phase with which the first phase is substantially immiscible; combining the first phase and the second phase to form an emulsion; extracting the solvent from the emulsion with an extraction medium, to form microparticles containing the active agent; and washing the microparticles with a non-aqueous washing system comprising ethanol to thereby reduce the level of residual solvent. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the active agent is selected from risperidone, 9-hydroxyrisperidone, and pharmaceutically acceptable salts of the foregoing.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the polymer is selected from poly(glycolic acid), poly(d,l-lactic acid), poly(l-lactic acid), and copolymers of the foregoing.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the polymer is poly(d,l-lactic-co-glycolic acid).
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the solvent comprises a blend of ethyl acetate and benzyl alcohol.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the extraction medium comprises ethyl acetate.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the non-aqueous washing system is 100% ethanol.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the first phase comprises risperidone, poly(d,l-lactic-co-glycolic acid), and a blend of ethyl acetate and benzyl alcohol, wherein the extraction medium comprises ethyl acetate, and wherein the non-aqueous washing system is 100% ethanol.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the second phase comprises polyvinyl alcohol and ethyl acetate.
10. The method of claim 1, further comprising: rinsing the washed microparticles with water; and final drying of the rinsed microparticles.
11. Microparticles prepared by the method of claim 1.
12. Microparticles prepared by the method of claim 9.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.