Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process for the production of an abuse-proofed solid dosage form|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a process for the production of an abuse-proofed solid dosage form containing at least one active ingredient with potential for abuse and a synthetic or natural polymer with a breaking strength of =500 N, characterized in that a corresponding mixture is processed by melt extrusion with the assistance of a planetary-gear extruder.|
|Inventor(s):||Arkenau; Elisabeth (Aachen, DE), Bartholom us; Johannes (Aachen, DE)|
|Assignee:||Gruenenthal GmbH (Aachen, DE)|
|Filing Date:||Jul 14, 2004|
|Claims:||1. A process for the production of an abuse-proofed solid dosage form with a breaking strength of at least 500N, said dosage form comprising at least one opioid active ingredient with potential for abuse and 50-99.9 wt%, relative to the total weight of the dosage form, of polyethylene oxide having a molecular weight of at least one million Daltons, said process comprising heating a mixture comprising the at least one opioid active ingredient with potential for abuse and the polyethylene oxide in a planetary-gear extruder at least until the polyethylene oxide has softened, and thereafter compacting and extruding the mixture with the planetary-gear extruder into formed articles, which are optionally subjected to singulation and shaping to yield a nonmultiparticulate dosage form with a breaking strength of at least 500 N. |
2. A process according to claim 1, wherein the active ingredient is selected from the group consisting of oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphone, tramadol and the physiologically acceptable salts thereof.
3. A process according to claim 1, wherein the mixture additionally comprises further auxiliary substances.
4. A process according to claim 1, wherein the planerary-gear extruder has at least three planetary spindles.
5. A process according to claim 1, wherein the planetary-gear extruder has a feed screw and a central spindle with planetary spindles.
6. A process according to claim 1, wherein the formed articles are finally formed and optionally singulated.
7. A process according to claim 1, wherein the formed articles are formed into tablets.
8. A process according to claim 7, wherein the tablets are formed with press molding with the assistance of two counter-rotating rolls with mutually opposing recesses, the construction of which recesses determines the tablet shape.
9. A process according to claim 7, wherein the tablets are in each case formed with the assistance of a die and at least one shaping punch.
10. An abuse-proofed dosage form with a breaking strength of at least 500N obtainable by a process according to claim 1.
11. A process according to claim 2, where the active ingredient is the hydrochloride of oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphine, or tramadol.
12. A process according to claim 3, where the further auxiliary substances are one or more substances selected from the group consisting of waxes (D), antioxidants and plasticizers.
13. A process according to claim 1, where the opioid is in a form selected from the group consisting of physiologically acceptable enantiomers, stereoisomers, diastereomers, racemates and derivatives thereof.
14. A process of claim 13, where the physiologically acceptable derivatives thereof are selected from the group consisting of ethers, esters and amides.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.