|Title:||Methods and compositions for inhibition of angiogenesis|
|Abstract:|| The present invention comprises a group of compounds that effectively inhibit angiogenesis. More specifically, thalidomide and various related compounds such as thalidomide precursors, analogs, metabolites and hydrolysis products have been shown to inhibit angiogenesis and to treat disease states resulting from angiogenesis. Additionally, antiinflammatory drugs, such as steroids and NSAIDs can inhibit angiogenesis dependent diseases either alone or in combination with thalidomide and related compounds. Importantly, these compounds can be administered orally.|
|Inventor(s):|| D'Amato; Robert J. (Cambridge, MA) |
|Assignee:|| Children's Medical Center Corporation (Boston, MA) |
|Filing Date:||Oct 10, 2008|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating a blood-borne tumor comprising administering to a patient having a blood-borne tumor who had no prior treatment for the tumor an effective amount of thalidomide and an amount of prednisone. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the blood-borne tumor is leukemia.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the amount of thalidomide administered is from 0.1 to 50 mg/kg/day.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the amount of thalidomide administered is from 0.5 to 50 mg/kg/day.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the amount of thalidomide administered is from 1 to 10 mg/kg/day.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein at least one of thalidomide and prednisone is parenterally administered.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein at least one of thalidomide and prednisone is orally administered.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the thalidomide and prednisone are simultaneously administered.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the thalidomide and prednisone are sequentially administered.
10. The method of claim 1, further comprising administration of an additional angiogenesis inhibiting compound.