Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Dry powder dispersing apparatus and methods for their use|
|Abstract:||The invention provides various apparatus and methods for aerosolizing a powdered medicament. In one exemplary embodiment, an apparatus includes a pressurization cylinder, and a piston which is slidable within the cylinder to pressurize a gas. A handle is coupled to the piston and is movable between an extended position and a home position to pressurize the gas. An aerosolizing mechanism is included and is configured to aerosolize a powdered medicament that is held within a receptacle with pressurized gas from the cylinder. A carriage assembly is included to receive the receptacle and to couple the receptacle to the aerosolizing mechanism. A first and a second interlock are operably engageable with the carriage assembly to prevent coupling of the receptacle with the aerosolization mechanism. The first interlock is released to allow movement of the carriage upon movement of the handle to the extended position. The second interlock remains engaged if the receptacle is only partially inserted into the carriage assembly.|
|Inventor(s):||Burr; John D. (Redwood City, CA), Smith; Adrian E. (Emerald Hills, CA), Axford; George S. (Pacifica, CA)|
|Assignee:||Nektar Therapeutics (San Carlos, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 09, 2005|
|Claims:||1. A system for aerosolizing a powdered medicament, the system comprising: a receptacle having a front end, a back end, and a cavity adapted to hold a powdered medicament, wherein the front end of the receptacle comprises a geometric configuration; and an aerosolization apparatus having an opening into which the receptacle may be inserted, the aerosolization apparatus comprising a receptacle piercing member, wherein the aerosolization apparatus is in a locked condition which prevents the piercing member from piercing the receptacle when the receptacle is first inserted in the opening and wherein the aerosolization apparatus is in an unlocked condition which allows the piercing member to pierce the receptacle when the receptacle is fully inserted into the aerosolization apparatus and the geometric configuration mates with a corresponding portion in the aerosolization apparatus. |
2. A system as in claim 1, wherein the geometric configuration comprises at least one notch, and wherein the corresponding portion in the aerosolization apparatus comprises a key such that the receptacle is fully inserted into the aerosolization apparatus only if the notch is aligned with the key.
3. A system as in claim 1, wherein the geometric configuration comprises two notches, and wherein the corresponding portion in the aerosolization apparatus comprises a key such that the receptacle is fully inserted into the aerosolization apparatus only if the notches are aligned with the key.
4. A system as in claim 1, wherein the aerosolization apparatus is in an unlocked condition prior to the receptacle being inserted into the opening.
5. A system as in claim 1, wherein when the aerosolization apparatus is in the locked condition, the piecing member is prevented from moving toward the receptacle.
6. A system as in claim 1, wherein when the aerosolization apparatus is in the locked condition, a fire button may not be activated.
7. A method of aerosolizing a powdered medicament, the method comprising: inserting a receptacle having a front end, a back end, and a cavity holding a powdered medicament into an aerosolization apparatus, wherein the aerosolization apparatus is locked as the receptacle is first being inserted; unlocking the aerosolization apparatus when the receptacle is fully inserted and when a geometric configuration on the receptacle mates with a corresponding portion in the aerosolization apparatus, thereby allowing a piercing member in the aerosolization apparatus to pierce the receptacle; piercing the receptacle to expose the powdered medicament; and aerosolizing the powdered medicament for delivery to a user.
8. A method as in claim 7, wherein the aerosolized powder medicament is delivered to the user during the user's inhalation.
9. A method as in claim 8, wherein the powder medicament is aerosolized prior to the user's inhalation.
10. A method as in claim 7, wherein the geometric configuration is on the front end of the receptacle and wherein the front end geometric configuration mates with a key in the aerosolization apparatus.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.