|Title:||2-Oxo-1-pyrrolidine derivatives, processes for preparing them and their uses|
|Abstract:||The invention concerns 2-oxo-1-pyrrolidine derivatives of formula I, ##STR00001## wherein the substituents are as defined in the specification, as well as their use as pharmaceuticals. The compounds of the invention are particularly suited for treating neurological disorders such as epilepsy.|
|Inventor(s):||Differding; Edmond (Louvain-la-Neuve, BE), Kenda; Beno t (Emines, BE), Lallemand; Benedicte (Waimes, BE), Matagne; Alain (Gerpinnes, BE), Michel; Philippe (Beersel, BE), Pasau; Patrick (Chastre, BE), Talaga; Patrice (Watermael-Boitsfort, BE)|
|Assignee:||UCB, S.A. (Brussels, BE)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 27, 2005|
|Claims:||1. A compound of formula AA-II, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof: ##STR00072## wherein X is --CA.sup.1NR.sup.5R.sup.6 or --CA.sup.1--R.sup.8; A.sup.1 is oxygen, sulfur or --NR.sup.9; Q.sup.1 together with the oxygen to which it is attached is a leaving group; R.sup.1 is hydrogen, alkyl, aryl or --CH.sub.2--R.sup.1a wherein R.sup.1a is aryl, halogen, hydroxy, amino, nitro or cyano; R.sup.3 is hydrogen, halogen, thiol, nitro, nitrooxy, cyano, azido, carboxy, amido, sulfonic acid, sulfonamide, alkyl, alkcenyl, alkynyl, ester, ether, aryl, tetrazolyl, thiazolyl, thienyl, furyl, pyrrolyl, pyridinyl, alkynyloxy, acyloxy, oxyester, oxyamido, alkylsulfonyloxy, alkylsulfinyloxy, arylsulfonyloxy, arylsulfinyloxy, aryloxy, aralkoxy, alkylthio, alkenylthio, alkynylthio, arylthio, formyl, acetyl, propionyl, isobutyryl, valeryl, lauroyl, heptanedioyl, cyclohexanecarbonyl, crotonoyl, furmaroyl, acyloyl, benzoyl, naphtoyl, 4-carboxybutanoyl, oxalyl, ethoxalyl, cysteinyl, oxamoyl, alkylsulfonyl, alkenylsulfonyl, alkynylsulfonyl, arylsulfonyl, alkylsulfinyl, alkenylsulfinyl, alkynylsulfinyl or arylsulfinyl; R.sup.3a is hydrogen, halogen, alkyl, alkenyl, alkynyl or aryl; R.sup.5, R.sup.6 and R.sup.9 are the same or different and each is independently hydrogen, hydroxy, alkyl, aryl, alkoxy, alkenyloxy, alkynyloxy, acyloxy, oxyester, oxyamido, alkylsulfonyloxy, alkylsulfinyloxy, arylsulfonyloxy, arylsulfinyloxy, aryloxy or arylakoxy; and R.sup.8 is hydrogen, hydroxy, thiol, halogen, alkyl, aryl, alkylthio, alkenylthio or alkynylthio; with the provisos that at least one of R.sup.3 and R.sup.3a is other than hydrogen; and that when the compound is a mixture of all possible stereoisomers, X is --CONR.sup.5R.sup.6 and R.sup.1 is hydrogen, methyl, ethyl or propyl then R.sup.3 and R.sup.3a substitution on the pyrrolidine ring is other than mono-, di-methyl or mono-ethyl; and that when R.sup.1 and R.sup.3a are both hydrogen and X is --CONR.sup.5R.sup.6 then R.sup.3 is different from carboxy, ester, amido, substituted oxo-pyrrolidine, alkynyloxy, acyloxy, oxyester, oxyamido, alkylsulfonyloxy, alkylsulfinyloxy, arylsulfonyloxy, arylsulfinyloxy, aryloxy, aralkoxy, methyl, naphtyl, phenyl optionally substituted by oxy derivatives or in the para position by an halogen atom. |
2. A compound according to claim 1, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, wherein Q.sup.1 is a substituent group selected from a) alkyl; or b) linear or branched C.sub.1-4-alkyl.
3. A compound according to claim 1, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, which is a pure enantiomer.
4. A compound according to claim 1, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, wherein, when the carbon atom to which R.sup.1 is attached is asymmetric, said carbon atom is in the "S"-configuration.
5. A compound according to claim 1, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, which is at least one enantiomer, at least one diastereomer, or a mixture thereof.
6. A composition comprising the compound according to claim 1, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, and a diluent or pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.