|Title:||Pulmonary delivery of active fragments of parathyroid hormone|
|Abstract:|| Systemic delivery of parathyroid hormone to a mammalian host is accomplished by inhalation through the mouth of a dispersion of an N-terminal fragment of PTH. It has been found that such respiratory delivery of the PTH fragment provides a pulsatile concentration profile of the PTH in the host's serum. PTH fragment compositions include dry powder formulations having the PTH present in a dry bulking powder, liquid solutions or suspensions suitable for nebulization, and aerosol propellants suitable for use in a metered dose inhaler.|
|Inventor(s):|| Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA) |
|Assignee:|| Nektar Therapeutics (San Carlos, CA) |
|Filing Date:||Sep 18, 2002|
|Claims:||1. A therapeutic composition in solid dose form comprising a bulking agent and an N-terminal peptide fragment of parathyroid hormone (PTH) as a bioactive agent, wherein said composition is a powder suitable for administration by inhalation, said bulking agent is selected from the group consisting of sucrose, lactose, trehalose, dextran and maltotriose, and said powder has a particle size between 0.5 .mu.m to 5 .mu.m. |
2. The composition according to claim 1, wherein said peptide fragment consists of the first 34 amino acids of SEQ ID NO: 1.
3. The composition according to claim 1, wherein said peptide fragment consists of the first 34 to 38 amino acids of SEQ ID NO: 1.
4. The composition according to claim 1, further comprising an additive to maintain or enhance chemical stability and physiological acceptability.
5. The composition according to claim 4, wherein the additive is a peptidase inhibitor.
6. The composition according to claim 4, wherein the additive is a chelating agent.