Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Succinate salt of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine|
|Abstract:||A novel salt of O-desmethyl venlafaxine is provided, O-desmethylvenlafaxine succinate. Pharmaceutical compositions, dosage forms and methods of use are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Winkley; Michael W. (Campbell Hall, NY), Sutherland; Karen W. (New City, NY)|
|Assignee:||Wyeth (Madison, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Nov 10, 2004|
|Claims:||1. A method of preparing O-desmethyl-venlafaxine comprising the step of demethylating venlafaxine or a salt thereof with an alkali metal salt of a trialkyl borohydride. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein each alkyl group in the trialkyl borohydride is independently a C.sub.1 C.sub.6 alkyl.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the alkali metal salt of a trialkyl borohydride is selected from L-selectride, K-selectride, lithium triethylborohydride, potassium triethylborohydride, and mixtures thereof.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the alkali metal salt of a trialkyl borohydride is L-selectride.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the demethylation step is performed at a temperature of from about 60 to about 140.degree. C.
6. The method of claim 1, further comprising the step of converting the O-desmethyl-venlafaxine to O-desmethyl-venlafaxine succinate.
7. The method of claim 1, further comprising the step of deactivating any boron containing byproducts produced by the demethylation reaction.
8. The method of claim 7, wherein the deactivating step comprises oxidizing the boron containing byproducts.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the oxidizing step comprises reacting the boron containing byproducts with an oxidizing agent selected from hydrogen peroxide, sodium perborate, and mixtures thereof.
10. The method of claim 8, wherein the oxidizing step comprises adding the boron containing byproducts to an oxidizing agent or a solution comprising an oxidizing agent.
11. A method of preparing O-desmethyl-venlafaxine comprising the steps of: (a) demethylating venlafaxine or a salt thereof with an alkali metal salt of a trialkyl borohydride to yield an alkali metal salt of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine; and (b) converting the alkali metal salt of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine to the free base of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein step (b) comprises neutralizing the alkali metal salt of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine with acid.
13. The method of claim 11, further comprising the step of (c) converting the free base of O-desmethyl-venlafaxine to O-desmethyl-venlafaxine succinate.
14. The method of claim 11, wherein the venlafaxine in step (a) is the free base of venlafaxine.
15. The method of claim 1 wherein the demethylation step is performed at about 90.degree. C.
16. The method of claim 1 wherein the demethylation step is performed with 5.5 molar excess of trialkyl borohydride.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.