Generated: May 26, 2017
|Title:||Pharmaceutical composition and method for treating premature labor|
|Abstract:||The present invention teaches a composition comprising a .beta.-adrenergic agonist in a bioadhesive carrier. Preferably, the composition comprises terbutaline in polycarbophil. The present invention additionally teaches the local administration of a .beta.-adrenergic agonist for the purpose of treating or preventing dysmenorrhea or premature labor. Using this composition and the method of treatment provides sufficient local levels of the drug to provide therapeutic efficacy, but avoids many untoward adverse events.|
|Inventor(s):||Levine; Howard L. (Oceanside, NY), Bol.ogna; William J. (Paris, FR), De Ziegler; Dominique (Paris, FR)|
|Assignee:||Columbia Laboratories, Inc. (Livingston, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 22, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A vaginal, bioadhesive pharmaceutical composition for preventing or treating premature labor comprising a therapeutically effective amount of a .beta.-adrenergic agonist together with a bioadhesive cross-linked water-insoluble but water-swellable polycarboxylic acid polymer in an amount effective to form a bioadhesive composition that provides efficacy of the .beta.-adrenergic agonist, independent of any additional treating agent for premature labor that may be present, while maintaining serum levels of the .beta.-adrenergic agonist low enough to avoid undesired side effects. |
2. A method of preventing or stepping treating premature labor comprising vaginal administration of (a) a .beta.-adrenergic agonist, in an amount sufficient independently, regardless of whether additional treating agents for premature labor are present, to demonstrate therapeutic benefit despite resulting in unexpectedly low blood serum levels of the .beta.-adrenergic agonist, together with (b) a pharmaceutically acceptable bioadhesive carrier, wherein said therapeutic benefit comprises preventing or stopping premature labor to a patient in need thereof, without significant causation of serum levels of the .beta.-adrenergic agonist sufficient to produce undesired side effects, and wherein said bioadhesive carrier is includes a bioadhesive cross-linked water-insoluble but water-swellable polycarboxylic acid polymer.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein administration takes place every 12 to 48 hours.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein administration takes place every 24 hours.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the .beta.-adrenergic agonist is terbutaline.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 5, wherein the concentration of terbutaline is from 0.1 to 0.4% weight/weight.
7. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 6, wherein the polymer is polycarbophil.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 5, wherein a 1 to 1.5 g dosage of the composition will deliver about 1 to 4 mg of terbutaline.
9. The method of claim 2, wherein the .beta.-adrenergic agonist is terbutaline, and the composition is administered in a dosage that contains from 1 to 4 mg of terbutaline.
10. The method of claim 9, wherein the polymer is polycarbophil.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein administration takes place every 12 to 48 hours.
12. The method of claim 10, wherein administration takes place every 24 hours.
13. The method of claim 2, wherein the .beta.-adrenergic agonist is the sole agent for premature labor in the composition.
14. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the .beta.-adrenergic agonist is the sole agent for premature labor in the composition.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.