DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Topical treatment or prevention of ocular infections|
|Abstract:||The topical application of an azalide antibiotic such as azithromycin to the eye is useful in treating or preventing ocular infections. In one embodiment, the azalide antibiotic is supplied to the eye in a depot for sustained release. A more convenient dosing regimen can also be provided by the use of an appropriate depot. Furthermore, a composition containing a combination of medicaments is also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Dawson; Chandler R. (Mill Valley, CA), Bowman; Lyle M. (Pleasanton, CA)|
|Assignee:||InSite Vision, Incorporated (Alameda, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Jul 02, 1999|
|Claims:||1. A process for treating an eye, which comprises: |
topically applying an aqueous polymeric suspension of an azalide antibiotic, wherein said suspension comprises water, 0.01% to 1.0% of an azalide antibiotic, and 0.1 to 10% of a polymeric suspending agent.
2. The process according to claim 1, wherein said polymeric suspending agent is a water-swellable water-insoluble crosslinked carboxy-vinyl polymer.
3. The process according to claim 2, wherein the polymer comprises at least 90% acrylic acid monomers and 0.1% to 5% crosslinking agent.
4. The process according to claim 3, wherein the crosslinking agent comprises a difunctional crosslinking agent.
5. The process according to claim 4, wherein said crosslinking agent is selected from the group consisting of divinyl glycol, 2,3-dihydroxyhexa-1,5-diene, 2,5-dimethyl-1,5-hexadiene, divinylbenzene, N,N-diallylacrylamide, N,N-diallymethacrylamide, and mixtures thereof.
6. The process according to claim 3, wherein said polymer comprises a polycarbophil.
7. The process according to claim 3, wherein said polymeric suspending agent is contained in an amount of from about 0.5 to 1.2%.
8. The process according to claim 7, wherein said polymer has a monodisperse particle size distribution.
9. The process according to claim 8, wherein said azalide antibiotic comprises azithromycin.
10. The process according to claim 9, wherein said azalide antibiotic comprises azithromycin dihydrate.