DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Method for enhancing analgesia|
|Abstract:||A method of producing analgesia in nociceptive and neuropathic pain is disclosed. The method includes administering to a subject an omega conopeptide which is characterized by its ability to (a) inhibit electrically stimulated contraction of the guinea pig ileum, and (b) bind selectively to omega conopeptide MVIIA binding sites present in neuronal tissue. Also disclosed are novel omega conotoxin peptides effective in producing analgesia.|
|Inventor(s):||Justice; Alan (Sunnyvale, CA), Singh; Tejinder (Palo Alto, CA), Gohil; Kishor Chandra (Richmond, CA), Valentino; Karen L. (San Carlos, CA), Miljanich; George P. (Redwood City, CA)|
|Assignee:||Elan Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (South San Francisco, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 09, 1999|
|Claims:||1. A method of enhancing the analgesic effect produced by an opiate in a mammalian subject, comprising |
administering to the subject an effective dose of an omega-conopeptide having activity to (a) inhibit electrically stimulated contraction of the guinea pig ileum, and (b) bind to omega-conopeptide MVIIA binding sites present in neuronal tissue.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the omega-conopeptide activities in inhibition of guinea pig ileum and in binding to the MVIIA binding site are within the ranges of such activities of omega-conopeptides MVIIA (SNX-111) SEQ ID NO:1 and TVIA (SNX-185) SEQ ID NO:7.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the omega-conopeptide is selected from the group consisting of SEQ ID NO:1 (MVIIA/SNX-111), SEQ ID NO:2 (MVIIB/SNX-159), SEQ ID NO:7 (TVIA/SNX-185), SEQ ID NO:30 (SNX-236), SEQ ID NO:32 (SNX-239), SEQ ID NO:33 (SNX-199) and derivatives thereof.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the omega-conopeptide SEQ ID NO:1 (MVIIA/SNX-111) or SEQ ID NO:7 (TVIA/SNX-185).
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the omega-conopeptide is administered intrathecally.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said opiate is administered at a submaxiaml dosage.