Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Abstract:||Pharmaceutical composition which comprises an insulin sensitivity enhancer in combination with other antidiabetics differing from the enhancer in the mechanism of action, which shows a potent depressive effect on diabetic hyperglycemia and is useful for prophylaxis and treatment of diabetes.|
|Inventor(s):||Ikeda; Hitoshi (Higashiosaka, JP), Sohda; Takashi (Takatsuki, JP), Odaka; Hiroyuki (Kobe, JP)|
|Assignee:||Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd. (Osaka, JP)|
|Filing Date:||May 27, 1999|
|Claims:||1. A method for reducing the amount of therapeutic agents administered to a diabetic patient, which comprises administering to said patient a therapeutically effective amount of an insulin sensitivity enhancer in combination with an .alpha.-glucosidase inhibitor as said therapeutic agents. |
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the insulin sensitivity enhancer is a compound represented by the formula: ##STR8## wherein R represents an optionally substituted hydrocarbon or heterocyclic group; Y represents a group represented by --CO--, --CH(OH)-- or --NR.sup.3 -- wherein R.sup.3 represents an optionally substituted alkyl
group; m is 0 or 1; n is 0, 1 or 2; X represents CH or N; A represents a bond or a C.sub.1-7 divalent aliphatic hydrocarbon group; Q represents oxygen atom or sulfur atom; R.sup.1 represents hydrogen atom or an alkyl group; ring E may optionally have 1 to 4 further substituents, and the substituents may optionally be combined with R.sup.1 to form a ring; L and M respectively represent hydrogen atom, or L and M may optionally be combined with each other to form a bond; or a pharmacologically acceptable salt thereof.
3. The method according to claim 2, wherein R is an optionally substituted heterocyclic group.
4. The method according to claim 2, wherein m is 0.
5. The method according to claim 2, wherein X is CH.
6. The method according to claim 2, wherein R.sup.1 is hydrogen atom.
7. The method according to claim 2, wherein the partial formula: ##STR9## wherein R.sup.2 represents hydrogen atom, an alkyl group, an optionally substituted hydroxyl group, a halogen atom, an optionally substituted acyl group, nitro group or an optionally substituted amino group.
8. The method according to claim 2, wherein L and M are hydrogen atoms.
9. The method according to claim 2, wherein R is pyridyl, oxazolyl or thiazolyl group optionally having 1 to 3 substituents selected from C.sub.1-3 alkyl, furyl, thienyl, phenyl and naphthyl; m is 0; n is 0 or 1; X is CH; A is a bond or --(CH.sub.2).sub.2 --; R.sup.1 is hydrogen atom; wherein the partial formula: ##STR10## and wherein R.sup.2 is hydrogen atom or C.sub.1-4 alkoxy group; and L and M are both hydrogen atoms.
10. The method according to claim 2, wherein the compound represented by the formula (I) is pioglitazone.
11. The method according to claim 1, wherein the .alpha.-glucosidase inhibitor is selected from the group consisting of acarbose, voglibose and miglitol.
12. The method according to claim 1, wherein the .alpha.-glucosidase inhibitor is voglibose.
13. The method according to claim 1, wherein the insulin sensitivity enhancer is pioglitazone or its hydrochloride and the .alpha.-glucosidase inhibitor is voglibose.
14. The method according to claim 1, wherein the insulin sensitivity enhancer is troglitazone.
15. The method according to claim 1, wherein the insulin sensitivity enhancer is 5-[[4-[2-(methyl-2-pyridylamino)ethoxy]phenyl]-methyl]-2,4-thiazolidinedio ne or its pharmacologically acceptable salt.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.