|Title:||Method of administering of a hyaluronic acid and an NSAID to decrease side effects of the NSAID|
|Abstract:||A method of administering a medicinal agent and an effective amount of a form of hyaluronic acid for decreasing side effects associated with using the agent alone in treating a disease or condition in mammals is disclosed. The agent may be a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). The amount of hyaluronic acid is sufficient enough to provide a dosage greater than 200 mg/70 kg person. The molecular weight of the form of hyaluronic acid may be less than 750,000 daltons.|
|Inventor(s):||Falk; Rudolf Edgar (Toronto, CA), Asculai; Samuel S. (Toronto, CA)|
|Assignee:||Hyal Pharmaceutical Corporation (Mississauga, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 05, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method of reducing a toxic side effect caused by an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug NSAID) for treating a condition or disease involving tissue selected from the group consisting of pathological tissue and underperfused tissue in a person being treated with said NSAID, comprising administering 200-1000 mg of hyaluronic acid or a non-toxic salt thereof to said person either immediately following or at the same time as the treatment with the NSAID, wherein the hyaluronic acid or non-toxic salt thereof has a molecular weight of less than 750,000 Daltons. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the toxic side effect is selected from the group consisting of gastro-intestinal distress, neurological abnormalities, and depression.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the NSAID is selected from the group consisting of indomethacin, naproxen, .+-. tromethamine salt of ketorolac, diclofenac, piroxicam, and ibuprofen.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the NSAID is administered systemically.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the NSAID and the hyaluronic acid or non-toxic salt thereof are administered intravenously.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid or non-toxic salt thereof is between 150,000 and 225,000 Daltons.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the NSAID is at a dosage of 1-2 milligrams of NSAID per kilogram of said person's body weight.