|Title:|| Process for preparing pure salts of pyridinylmethyl-sulfinyl-1H-benzimidazole|
|Abstract:||The novel optically pure compounds Na.sup.+, Mg.sup.2+, Li.sup.+, K.sup.+, Ca.sup.2+ and N.sup.+ (R).sub.4 salts of (+)-5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H- benzimidazole or (-)-5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H- benzimidazole, where R is an alkyl with 1-4 carbon atoms, processes for the preparation thereof and pharmaceutical preparations containing the compounds as active ingredients, as well as the use of the compounds in pharmaceutical preparations and intermediates obtained by preparing the compounds.|
|Inventor(s):|| Von Unge; Sverker (Fjar.ang.s, SE) |
|Assignee:|| Astra Aktiebolag (Sodertalje, SE) |
|Filing Date:||Jun 28, 1994|
|Claims:||1. A process for the preparation of (+)-5-methoxy-2-(((4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl)sulphinyl)-1H -benzimidazole and (-)-5-methoxy-2-(((4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl)sulphinyl)-1H -benzimidazole enantiomers comprising: separating a diastereomeric ester of formula IV ##STR5## wherein Acyl designates a chiral acyl group, having either R or S configuration; and dissolving each of the separated diastereomers in an alkaline solution of above about pH 7 so as to hydrolyze the acyloxymethyl group off from the separated diastereomers to give the optically pure intact enantiomers which are neutralized with a neutralizing agent which can be an acid or an ester; the pH being maintained at or above about 7 throughout the process. |
2. The process according to claim 1 wherein the diastereomers are separated by chromatography or fractional crystallization.
3. The process according to claim 1 wherein the solvolysis is performed in alkaline solution wherein the pH is more than about 7, containing a base in a protic solvent or a base in an aprotic solvent.
4. The process according to claim 1 wherein the chiral acyl group is mandeloyl.
5. The process according to claim 1 or 3 wherein the protic solvent comprises alcohols or water; and wherein the aprotic solvent comprises dimethyl sulfoxide or dimethylformamide.
6. The process according to claim 1 wherein the neutralizing agent is methyl formate.