DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Email this page to a colleague
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,389,470
|Title:||Methods and compositions for delivering peptides|
|Abstract:||Methods are provided for purifying peptides and proteins by incorporating the peptide or protein into a diketopiperazine or competitive complexing agent to facilitate removal one or more impurities, from the peptide or protein. Formulations and methods also are provided for the improved transport of active agents across biological membranes, resulting for example in a rapid increase in blood agent concentration. The formulations include microparticles formed of (i) the active agent, which may be charged or neutral, and (ii) a transport enhancer that masks the charge of the agent and/or that forms hydrogen bonds with the target biological membrane in order to facilitate transport. In one embodiment, insulin is administered via the pulmonary delivery of microparticles comprising fumaryl diketopiperazine and insulin in its biologically active form. This method of delivering insulin results in a rapid increase in blood insulin concentration that is comparable to the increase resulting from intravenous delivery.|
|Inventor(s):||Steiner; Solomon S. (Mount Kisco, NY), Woods; Rodney J. (New Hampton, NY), Sulner; Joseph W. (Paramus, NJ)|
|Assignee:||MannKind Corporation (Valencia, CA)|
1. A composition comprising microparticles that include insulin bound to, and coated onto, a 2,5-diketo-3,6-di(4-fumaryl-aminobutyl)piperazine wherein the composition is
suitable for pulmonary inhalation.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition produces a rapid onset of insulin action when administered to a human so that Tmax.sub.[INS] is achieved about 13 minutes after inhalation.
3. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition produces a rapid onset of insulin action when administered to a human so that peak biological action, measurable as Tmax.sub.GIR, is achieved about 39 minutes after inhalation.
4. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition is provided as a dry powder.
5. A method of delivering insulin to a human comprising: administering a composition comprising insulin bound to a complexing agent to said human by pulmonary inhalation, wherein the complexing agent is not a cyclodextrin.
6. The method of claim 5 wherein the composition produces a rapid onset of insulin action such that Tmax.sub.[INS] is achieved about 13 minutes after inhalation.
7. The method of claim 5 wherein the composition produces a rapid onset of insulin action such that peak biological action, measurable as Tmax.sub.GIR, is achieved about 39 minutes after inhalation.
8. The method of claim 5 wherein the complexing agent is a diketopiperazine derivative.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein the diketopiperazine derivative has the formula 2,5-diketo-3,6-di(4-X-aminobutyl)piperazine, wherein X is selected from the group consisting of fumaryl, succinyl, maleyl, and glutaryl.
10. The method of claim 9 wherein the diketopiperazine derivative is 2,5-diketo-3,6-di(4-fumaryl-aminobutyl)piperazine.
11. The method of claim 5 wherein the composition is provided as a dry powder.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.