Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for combating virus infection|
|Abstract:||A method for the selective treatment of virus infections in animals and man comprising administering to a host so infected a therapeutically effective amount of phosphonoformic acid or a physiologically acceptable salt thereof.|
|Inventor(s):||Eriksson; Bertil F. H. (Tumba, SE), Helgstrand; Ake J. E. (Lund, SE), Misiorny, deceased; Alfons (late of Bandhagen, SE), Misiorny, legal representive; Karl H. (Sodertalje, SE), Stening; Goran B. (Sodertalje, SE), Stridh; Stig-Ake A. (Sodertalje, SE)|
|Assignee:||Astra Lakemedel Aktiebolag (SE)|
1. A method for the treatment of virus-induced diseases in animals including man, by inhibiting transformation of virus-infected cells, characterized by administering to an
animal so infected an amount of phosphonoformic acid or a physiological salt thereof effective to inhibit the transformation of said virus-infected cells.
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the infected animal is treated with the tri-sodium salt of phosphonoformic acid.
3. A method according to claim 2 wherein the tri-sodium salt of phosphonoformic acid is orally administered.
4. A method according to claim 1 wherein the phosphonoformic acid or physiologically effective salt thereof is orally administered.
5. A method for inhibiting the replication of a retrovirus in animals including man, comprising administering to an animal in need of such treatment phosphonoformic acid or a physiologically acceptable salt thereof in an amount sufficient for inhibiting said replication.
6. A method according to claim 5 wherein the phosphonoformic acid or physiologically effective salt thereof is orally administered.
7. A pharmaceutical composition effective for treating virus infections or diseases in animals and man suitable for oral administration to humans comprising as an active ingredient phosphonoformic acid or a physiologically acceptable salt thereof in an amount effective to inhibit replication of the virus or multiplication of a virus-transformed cell, together with a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier free of pharmaceutically unacceptable impurities and suitable for oral administration to humans.
8. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 7 in which the active ingredient comprises about 0.1% to about 50% of the preparation.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.