DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,759,284
|Title:||Therapeutic agent preparations for delivery into a lumen of the intestinal tract using a swallowable drug delivery device|
|Abstract:||Embodiments of the invention provide swallowable devices, preparations and methods for delivering drugs and other therapeutic agents within the GI tract. Many embodiments provide a swallowable device for delivering the agents. Particular embodiments provide a swallowable device such as a capsule for delivering drugs into the intestinal wall or other GI lumen. Embodiments also provide various drug preparations that are configured to be contained within the capsule, advanced from the capsule into the intestinal wall and degrade within the wall to release the drug to produce a therapeutic effect. The preparation can be coupled to an actuator having a first configuration where the preparation is contained in the capsule and a second configuration where the preparation is advanced out of the capsule into the intestinal wall. Embodiments of the invention are particularly useful for the delivery of drugs which are poorly absorbed, tolerated and/or degraded within the GI tract.|
|Inventor(s):||Imran; Mir (Los Altos Hills, CA)|
|Assignee:||Rani Therapeutics, LLC (San Jose, CA)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A therapeutic agent preparation for delivery into a lumen of the intestinal tract, the lumen having a lumen wall, the preparation comprising a therapeutically effective
dose of at least one therapeutic agent, wherein the preparation is a solid shaped as a tissue penetrating member having a dart-like structure, the tissue penetrating member configured to be contained in an oval shaped swallowable capsule and to be
delivered from the capsule to penetrate and be advanced into the lumen wall by the application of force on the tissue penetrating member, wherein the solid degrades within the lumen wall to release the dose of therapeutic agent.
2. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the lumen is the small intestine and the preparation is configured to degrade within the wall of the small intestine.
3. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the preparation comprises at least one pharmaceutical excipient.
4. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the preparation is configured to have a selectable surface area to volume ratio to achieve a selectable rate of release of the therapeutic agent in the lumen wall.
5. The preparation of claim 1, wherein an amount of the therapeutic agent within the preparation to produce a desired therapeutic effect is less than an amount to produce a corresponding effect if the agent was orally delivered without enclosure in the swallowable capsule.
6. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the preparation is configured to be coupled to an actuator having a first configuration and a second configuration, the preparation being contained within the capsule in the first configuration and advanced out of the capsule and into the lumen wall in the second configuration.
7. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the preparation is configured to be delivered within a lumen of a tissue penetrating member.
8. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the therapeutic agent comprises a therapeutically effective dose of an incretin for the treatment of diabetes or a glucose regulation disorder.
9. The preparation of claim 8, wherein the incretin comprises a glucagon like peptide-1 (GLP-1), a GLP-1 analogue, exenatide, liraglutide, albiglutide, taspoglutide or a gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP).
10. The preparation of claim 8, wherein the incretin comprises exenatide and the dose is in a range from about 1 to 10 .mu.g.
11. The preparation of claim 8, wherein the incretin comprises liraglutide and the dose is in a range from about 1 to 2 mg.
12. The preparation of claim 1, wherein the therapeutic agent comprises a combination of therapeutic agents for the treatment of diabetes or a glucose regulation disorder.
13. The preparation of claim 12, wherein the combination comprises a therapeutically effective dose of an incretin and a therapeutically effective dose of a biguanide.
14. The preparation of claim 13, wherein the incretin comprises exenatide and the biguanide comprises metformin.
15. The preparation of claim 13, wherein the dosages of the incretin and the biguanide are matched to produce an improved level of blood glucose control for an extended period.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Glaxosmithkline Llc||TANZEUM||albiglutide||INJECTABLE;INJECTION||125431||001||2014-04-15||Start Trial||Rani Therapeutics, LLC (San Jose, CA)||2029-12-24||RX||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.