DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Subscribe for complete access
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,137,689
|Title:||Transplant/implant device and method for its production|
|Abstract:||A transplant/implant device for delivering at least one predetermined biologically active compound to a human or animal host system or for another biological function in the host system is produced by genetically engineering vital chondrocytes or mixing chondrocytes with another type of native or genetically engineered cells or mixing chondrocytes with artificial particles having a size comparable to the size of cells or combining at least two of the named steps of engineering or mixing and by subjecting the chondrocytes or the mixture comprising the chondrocytes to three dimensional culture conditions for in vitro production of cartilaginous tissue whereby the cells and/or the artificial particles are immobilized in the cartilaginous tissue. The chondrocytes produce and maintain the cartilaginous tissue and the chondrocytes themselves or cells of another cell type immobilized in the cartilaginous tissue are able to produce and secrete the at least one predetermined compound.|
|Inventor(s):||Grogan; Shawn P. (Rooty Hill, AU), Mainil-Varlet; Pierre (Bern, CH), Muller; Werner (Wiesendangen, CH), Schaffner; Thomas (Munchenbuchsee, CH)|
|Assignee:||Zimmer GmbH (Winterthur, CH)|
|Patent Claims:||1. An implant for in vivo production of at least one predetermined biologically active compound, said implant comprising chondrocytes producing and maintaining an
extracellular matrix and artificial particles producing the at least one predetermined compound, wherein at least some of the artificial particles are disposed within the extracellular matrix and other than the artificial particles, the implant is
generated in vitro without the use of a three dimensional artificial matrix.
2. The implant according to claim 1, wherein the chondrocytes comprise autologous chondrocytes originating from a human or animal into which the implant is to be implanted.
3. The implant according to claim 1, wherein the chondrocytes are heterologous or homologous chondrocytes.
4. The implant according to claim 1, further comprising genetically engineered cells.
5. The implant according to claim 4, wherein the genetically engineered cells are chondrocytes.
6. The implant according to claim 1, wherein the compound is selected from the group consisting of inhibitors of inflammation, hormones, growth factors, coagulation factors, neurotransmitters, neurotrophic factors, and activators or inhibitors of angiogenesis.
7. The implant according to claim 1, wherein the particles are of a size comparable to the size of the cells.
8. The implant of claim 1, wherein the extracellular matrix comprises type II collagen and proteoglycans.
9. The implant of claim 1, wherein the chondrocytes originate from cartilaginous tissue.
10. The implant of claim 1, wherein the chondrocytes are prepared by in vitro differentiation of stem cells or pre-chondrocytes.
11. The implant of claim 1, wherein at least some of the artificial particles disposed within the extracellular matrix are immobilized within the extracellular matrix.
12. The implant of claim 6, wherein the compound is a hormone selected from the group consisting of insulin, parathyroid hormone, and somatotropin.
13. The implant of claim 12, wherein the hormone is insulin.
14. The implant of claim 6, wherein the compound is a growth factor.
15. The implant of claim 14, wherein the growth factor is a bone morphogenic protein.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Approval Date||Patent No.||Expiredate|
|Nps Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||NATPARA||parathyroid hormone||For Injection||125511||2015-01-23||⤷ Try it Free||2019-11-11|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Expiredate|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.