DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Join the DrugPatentWatch Referral Program Get access to a free drug patent landscape report or a free one-month subscription
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,304,489
|Title:||DNA sequences to target proteins to the mammary gland for efficient secretion|
|Abstract:||Described is a method of targeting specific genes to the mammary gland which results in the efficient synthesis and secretion of biologically important molecules. Further, there is described as a composition of matter, a transgenic mammal having the ability to reproduce itself and being suitable for the secretion of biologically active agents into its milk. Additionally there is disclosed as a composition of matter, recombinant DNA gene complexes designed to integrate into a mammalian genome and to synthesize and secrete biological active agents into the milk. Furthermore methods of producing and using altered milk are disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Rosen; Jeffrey M. (Houston, TX)|
|Assignee:||GenPharm International, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A recombinant DNA complex to provide preferential mammary gland expression and secretion of a selected polypeptide comprising:
(a) a casein promoter;
(b) a transcribable DNA segment coding for said selected polypeptide, wherein said promoter does not naturally control the transcription of said DNA segment; and
(c) secretory DNA encoding a signal peptide functional in mammary secretory cells operably linked between said promoter and said DNA segment to facilitate secretion of said selected polypeptide,
(d) a casein enhancer sequence capable of conferring enhanced preferential transcription of said recombinant DNA complex in mammary secretory cells when said complex is integrated into the genome of a non-human mammal, and
(e) an intron from a casein gene.
2. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1 wherein said promoter is from a casein gene selected from the group consisting of .alpha.-casein, .beta.-casein, .gamma.-casein and .kappa.-casein.
3. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 2 wherein said promoter is a .beta.-casein promoter.
4. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 3 wherein said casein enhancer is selected from the group consisting of .alpha.-casein, .beta.-casein, .gamma.-casein and .kappa.-casein enhancers.
5. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1 further comprising a mouse mammary tumor virus glucocorticoid response element.
6. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1 wherein said secretory DNA encoding a signal peptide is from a mammary gland specific gene.
7. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 6 wherein said mammary gland specific gene is selected from the group consisting of whey acid protein and casein genes.
8. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 7 wherein said mammary gland specific gene is a casein gene.
9. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 6 wherein said intron is from a casein gene selected from the group consisting of .alpha.-casein, .beta.-casein, and .kappa.-casein genes.
10. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1 wherein said transcribable DNA segment encodes a normally secreted polypeptide and said secretory DNA encodes the endogenous signal peptide sequence of said secreted polypeptide.
11. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1 further comprising:
(f) DNA encoding a 5' untranslated sequence from a mammary gland specific gene.
12. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 11 further comprising:
(g) DNA encoding a 3' untranslated sequence.
13. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1, wherein said intron links said transcribable DNA segment to said promoter.
14. The recombinant DNA complex of claim 1, wherein said intron is located within said transcribable DNA segment.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Schering||INTRON A||interferon alfa-2b||VIAL||103132||001||1986-06-04||Start Trial||GenPharm International, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)||2011-04-19||RX||search|
|Schering||INTRON A||interferon alfa-2b||VIAL||103132||002||1986-06-04||Start Trial||GenPharm International, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)||2011-04-19||RX||search|
|Schering||INTRON A||interferon alfa-2b||VIAL||103132||003||1986-06-04||Start Trial||GenPharm International, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)||2011-04-19||RX||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
|Country||Patent Number||Publication Date|
|United States of America||2002023276||Feb 21, 2002|
|United States of America||2004266711||Dec 30, 2004|
|United States of America||5565362||Oct 15, 1996|
|United States of America||5994616||Nov 30, 1999|
|>Country||>Patent Number||>Publication Date|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.