Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Stabilized steroid composition and method for its preparation|
|Abstract:||Stabilized, 17-substituted hydrocortisone containing compositions and methods of manufacture are disclosed. Isomerization of the hydrocortisone component of topical steroid compositions is markedly reduced by including an omega-6 acid component in the form of a free acid or as a compound such as an ester. Specifically disclosed are methods for preventing the isomerization of hydrocortisone 17-butyrate into hydrocortisone 21-butyrate through the use of safflower oil.|
|Inventor(s):||Patel; Pravin M. (Bloomfield Hill, MI)|
|Assignee:||Precision Dermatology, Inc. (Cumberland, RI)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 08, 2011|
|Claims:||1. A method for stabilizing a composition including a 17-substituted hydrocortisone therein, said method comprising the step of: adding a stabilizer to said composition, said stabilizer comprising an omega-6 acid or an ester of an omega-6 acid. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said step of adding said stabilizer comprises adding linoleic acid to said composition.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein said step of adding said stabilizer to said composition comprises adding a triglyceride which includes an ester of said omega-6 acid to said composition.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein said triglyceride comprises safflower oil.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the step of adding said stabilizer further comprises adding said stabilizer in an amount so that the omega-6 acid component thereof is at least equimolar to a quantity of said 17-substituted hydrocortisone.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the molar amount of the omega-6 acid component is substantially greater than the molar amount of said 17-substituted hydrocortisone.
7. A method for stabilizing a 17-substituted hydrocortisone compound, said method comprising the step of: disposing said hydrocortisone compound in a composition which includes a stabilizer comprising an omega-6 acid or an ester of an omega-6 acid.
8. The method of claim 7, wherein the stabilizer comprises safflower oil.
9. The method of claim 7, wherein the step of adding said stabilizer comprises adding said stabilizer in an amount so that the omega-6 acid component thereof is at least equimolar to a quantity of said 17-substituted hydrocortisone compound.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.