Generated: May 25, 2017
|Title:||Polymer-based sustained release device|
|Abstract:||This invention relates to compositions for the sustained release of biologically active polypeptides, and methods of forming and using said compositions, for the sustained release of biologically active polypeptides. The sustained release compositions of this invention comprise a biocompatible polymer having dispersed therein, a biologically active polypeptide and a sugar.|
|Inventor(s):||Wright; Steven G. (Madeira, OH), Christensen; Troy (Mason, OH), Yeoh; Thean (Salem, CT), Rickey; Michael E. (Morrow, OH), Hotz; Joyce M. (Cincinnati, OH), Kumar; Rajesh (Marlborough, MA), Fineman; Mark (San Deigo, CA), Smith; Christine (San Diego, CA), Ong; John (San Diego, CA), Lokensgard; David M. (San Diego, CA), Costantino; Henry R. (Woodinville, WA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Pharma Ireland Limited (Dublin, IE) Amylin Pharmaceuticals, LLC (San Diego, CA)|
1. A composition suitable for the treatment of Type-2 diabetes, consisting essentially of: purified 50:50 DL PLG 4A polymer; about 3% to about 5% (w/w) exendin-4;
and about 2% (w/w) sucrose; wherein a total pore volume of the composition is about 0.1 mL/g or less as determined using mercury intrusion porosimetry to provide a release profile having a ratio of maximum serum concentration of the exendin-4 during the
period of release (C.sub.max) to average serum concentration of the exendin-4 during the period of release (C.sub.ave) of about 3 or less.
2. A method of treating a patient suffering from Type 2 diabetes, comprising: administering a therapeutically effective amount of the composition of claim 1.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein the exendin-4 is present at about 5% (w/w) of the weight of the composition.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the polymer has an inherent viscosity of between about 0.3 and 0.5 dL/g.
5. The composition of claim 1, which is suspended in an injection vehicle comprising sodium carboxymethylcellulose at 3.0% (w/v), sodium chloride at 0.9% (w/v), and Polysorbate 20 NF (Tween 20) at 0.1% (v/v) in water.
6. The method of claim 2, wherein the composition is administered by injection.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.