Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Controlled release antimicrobial compositions and methods for the treatment of OTIC disorders|
|Abstract:||Disclosed herein are compositions and methods for the treatment of otic diseases or conditions with antimicrobial agent compositions and formulations administered locally to an individual afflicted with an otic disease or condition, through direct application of these compositions and formulations onto or via perfusion into the targeted auris structure(s).|
|Inventor(s):||Lichter; Jay (San Diego, CA), Trammel; Andrew M. (Olathe, KS), Piu; Fabrice (San Diego, CA), Ye; Qiang (San Diego, CA), Dellamary; Luis A. (San Marcos, CA), Lebel; Carl (Malibu, CA), Harris; Jeffrey P. (La Jolla, CA)|
|Assignee:||OTONOMY, INC. (San Diego, CA) THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA (Oakland, CA)|
1. A sterile aqueous pharmaceutical composition for use in the treatment of an otic disease or condition comprising a thermoreversible gel and a micronized and non-microencapsulated
antimicrobial agent, wherein the thermoreversible gel has a gelation temperature between about room temperature and about body temperature; a non-gelation viscosity that allows injection at or about room temperature with a needle having a gauge in the
range of 18-31; and a gelation viscosity between about 15,000 cP and about 1,000,000 cP; and wherein the composition provides sustained release of the antimicrobial agent into the ear for a period of at least 5 days.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the thermoreversible gel comprises a copolymer of polyoxyethylene and polyoxypropylene.
3. The composition of claim 2, wherein the copolymer of polyoxyethylene and polyoxypropylene is Poloxamer 407.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is free of preservatives.
5. The composition of claim 1, wherein the antimicrobial agent is an antibiotic.
6. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is selected from a sulfonamide, a penicillin, a quinolone, a cephalosporin or a macrolide antibiotic.
7. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is a sulfonamide selected from afenide, prontosil, sulfacetamide, sulfamethiazole, sulfanilimide, sulfasalazine, sulfisoxazole, trimethoprim, and cotrimoxazole.
8. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is a penicillin selected from amoxicillin, ampicillin, azociling, carbenicillin, cloxacillin, dicloxacillin, flucloxacillin, mezlocillin, meticillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, peperacillin, and ticarcillin.
9. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is a quinolone selected from ciprofloxacin, enoxacin, gatifloxacin, levofloxacin, lomefloxacin, moxifloxacin, nonfloxacin, ofloxacin, trovafloxacin, grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin, AL-15469A, and AL-38905.
10. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is a cephalosporin selected from cefaclor, cefamandole, cefotoxin, cefprozil, cefuroxime, cefixime, cefdinir, cefditoren, cefpodoxime, ceftazidime, ceftibuten, ceftizoxime, ceftriaxone, cefepime, and ceftobirprole.
11. The composition of claim 5, wherein the antibiotic is a macrolide antibiotic selected from azithromycin, clarithromycin, dirithromycin, erythromycin, roxithromycin, troleandomycin, telithromycin, and spectinomycin.
12. The composition of claim 1, wherein the antimicrobial agent is an antifungal agent.
13. The composition of claim 12, wherein the antifungal agent is selected from amrolfine, utenafine, naftifine, terbinafine, flucytosine, fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, ravuconazole, voriconazole, clotrimazole, econazole, miconazole, oxiconazole, sulconazole, terconazole, tioconazole, nikkomycin Z, caspofungin, micafungin, anidulafungin, amphotericin B, liposomal nystastin, pimaricin, griseofulvin, ciclopirox olamine, haloprogin, tolnaftate, undecylenate, and clioquinol.
14. The composition of claim 1, wherein the otic disease or condition is otitis media.
15. The composition of claim 1, wherein the otic disease or condition is otitis media with effusion.