|Title:||1-[2-(2,4 dimethylphenylsulfanyl)-phenyl]piperazine as a compound with combined serotonin reuptake, 5-HT3 and 5-HT1a activity for the treatment of cognitive impairment|
|Abstract:|| 1-[2-(2,4-dimethylphenylsulphanyl)phenyl]piperazine exhibits potent activity on SERT, 5-HT.sub.3 and 5-HT.sub.1A and may as such be useful for the treatment of cognitive impairment, especially in depressed patients.|
|Inventor(s):|| Faldt; Andre (Ishoj, DK), Holm; Rene (Jyllinge, DK), de Diego; Heidi Lopez (Naerum, DK) |
|Assignee:|| H. Lundbeck A/S (Copenhagen-Valby, DK) |
1. A method of treating a disease selected from the group consisting of affective disorders, depression, major depressive disorder, anxiety, general anxiety disorder,
social anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and panic attacks, the method comprising administering a therapeutically effective amount of a hydrobromide salt of Compound I to a patient in need thereof, wherein Compound I is
1-[2-(2,4-dimethylphenylsulfanyl)-phenyl]piperazine, the hydrobromide salt of Compound I is a crystalline compound characterized by XRPD reflections at 6.89, 9.73, 13.78 and 14.64+/-0.10.degree. 2.theta., and the method alleviates a symptom or
complication of the disease or delays the progression of the disease.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the hydrobromide salt is characterized by an XRPD as shown in FIG. 3.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the hydrobromide salt has a particle size distribution corresponding to: D98%: 650-680 .mu.m; D50%: 230-250 .mu.m; and D5%: 40-60 .mu.m; D98%: 370-390 .mu.m; d50%: 100-120 .mu.m; and D5%: 5-15 .mu.m;
D98%: 100-125 .mu.m; D50%: 15-25 .mu.m; and D5%: 1-3 .mu.m; or D98%: 50-70 .mu.m; D50%: 3-7 .mu.m; and D5%: 0.5-2 .mu.m.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the disease is major depressive disorder.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the disease is depression or major depressive disorder.