Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||pH dependent carriers for targeted release of pharmaceuticals along the gastrointestinal tract, compositions therefrom, and making and using same|
|Abstract:||Novel drug carriers capable of targeted and/or pH dependent release of biologically active agents into selected pH environments including the gastrointestinal (GI), ophthalmic, urinary, or reproductive tracts. Unexpectedly, carriers including free fatty acids (FFA) are able to deliver biologically active agents to various pH environments. Such targeted delivery is tailorable and useful for active agents that are: (a) injurious to the upper GI tract (esophagus, stomach, and duodenum), (b) acid labile, (c) impermeable/insoluble compounds in GI fluids, (d) susceptible to first pass metabolism, and/or (e) cause stomach irritation, upset, or dyspepsia.|
|Inventor(s):||Marathi; Upendra K. (Houston, TX), Childress; Susann Edler (Houston, TX), Gammill; Shaun L. (Houston, TX), Strozier; Robert W. (Houston, TX)|
|Assignee:||PLx Pharma Inc. (Houston, TX)|
1. An orally administrable pharmaceutical composition comprising a solid, weak-acid NSAID and a carrier, wherein the carrier: (a) comprises at least 10 wt. % of free monocarboxylic
acid having at least 8 carbons; and (b) wherein the carrier comprises from about 0.0001 wt. % to about 5 wt. % of zwitterionic phospholipids, wherein the composition release a lesser amount of NSAID at a pH <3 than at a pH >3, and wherein the
pharmaceutical composition is a non-aqueous solid-in-oil suspension.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the carrier further comprises a neutral lipid.
3. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the carrier comprises 0% to 0.05 wt. % phospholipids.
4. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, having a carrier-to-NSAID weight ratio of between 1:10 and 10:1.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 3, wherein the carrier comprises one monocarboxylic acid or a plurality of monocarboxylic acids.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the carrier comprises a mixture of different monocarboxylic acids having at least 8 carbons.
7. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 1, that comprises up to 40 wt. % monocarboxylic acids.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the monocarboxylic acids comprise oleic acid.
9. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 8, wherein the NSAID is selected from the group consisting of ibuprofen, piroxicam, salicylate, aspirin, naproxen, indomethacin, diclofenac, mefenamic acid, COX2 inhibitors or any mixture thereof.
10. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 9, wherein the NSAID is selected from the group consisting of aspirin, naproxen, indomethacin and mefenamic acid.
11. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein <20% of the NSAID is released from the pharmaceutical composition in an environment of pH <3 and wherein >50% of the NSAID is released in an environment of pH >3.
12. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the NSAID is released at pH values of less than pH 2 at a rate of less than about 20% in thirty minutes, and wherein the NSAID is released, at pH values above about pH 3, at a rate of greater than 80% in thirty minutes.
13. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, further comprising a secondary complexing agent selected from the group consisting of an antioxidant, a preservative, a viscomodulator, a suspending agent, a drying agent, and mixtures thereof.
14. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the monocarboxylic acids comprise a mixture of oleic acid and linoleic acid.
15. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the amount of zwitterionic phospholipids is from about 0.5 wt. % up to about 2.5 wt. %.
16. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the amount of zwitterionic phospholipids is selected from the group consisting of about 0.5 wt. %, about 1 wt. %, about 2 wt. %, about 2.5 wt. %, and about 5 wt. %.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.