DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 9,192,511
|Title:||Ocular implant made by a double extrusion process|
|Abstract:||The invention provides biodegradable implants sized for implantation in an ocular region and methods for treating medical conditions of the eye. The implants are formed from a mixture of hydrophilic end and hydrophobic end PLGA, and deliver active agents into an ocular region without a high burst release.|
|Inventor(s):||Shiah; Jane-Guo (Irvine, CA), Bhagat; Rahul (Irvine, CA), Blanda; Wendy M. (Tustin, CA), Nivaggioli; Thierry (Atherton, CA), Peng; Lin (South San Franciso, CA), Chou; David (Palo Alto, CA), Weber; David A. (Danville, CA)|
|Assignee:||Allergan, Inc. (Irvine, CA)|
1. A bioerodible implant for treating a medical condition of the eye, the bioerodible implant comprising: an active agent homogenously dispersed within a biodegradable polymer matrix,
the biodegradable polymer matrix comprising a mixture of a first polymer and a second polymer, the first polymer being different than the second polymer; wherein the bioerodible implant is sized for implantation in an ocular region and the bioerodible
implant comprises a double extruded rod.
2. The bioerodible implant of claim 1, wherein the active agent is selected from the group consisting of ace-inhibitors, endogenous cytokines, agents that influence basement membrane, agents that influence the growth of endothelial cells, adrenergic agonists, adrenergic blockers, cholinergic agonists, cholinergic blockers, aldose reductase inhibitors, analgesics, anesthetics, antiallergics, anti-inflammatory agents, antihypertensives, pressors, antibacterials, antivirals, antifungals, antiprotozoals, anti-infectives, antitumor agents, antimetabolites, and antiangiogenic agents.
3. The bioerodible implant of claim 2, wherein the active agent is selected from the group consisting of steroidal anti-inflammatory agents and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents.
4. The bioerodible implant of claim 3, wherein the active agent is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent selected from the group consisting of aspirin, diclofenac, flurbiprofen, ibuprofen, ketorolac, naproxen, and suprofen.
5. The bioerodible implant of claim 3, wherein the active agent is a steroidal anti-inflammatory agent selected from the group consisting of 21-acetoxypregnenolone, alclometasone, algestone, amcinonide, beclomethasone, betamethasone, budesonide, chloroprednisone, clobetasol, clobetasone, clocortolone, cloprednol, corticosterone, cortisone, cortivazol, deflazacort, desonide, desoximetasone, dexamethasone, diflorasone, diflucortolone, difluprednate, enoxolone, fluazacort, flucloronide, flumethasone, flunisolide, fluocinolone acetonide, fluocinonide, fluocortin butyl, fluocortolone, fluorometholone, fluperolone acetate, fluprednidene acetate, fluprednisolone, flurandrenolide, fluticasone propionate, formocortal, halcinonide, halobetasol propionate, halometasone, halopredone acetate, hydrocortamate, hydrocortisone, loteprednol etabonate, mazipredone, medrysone, meprednisone, methylprednisolone, mometasone furoate, paramethasone, prednicarbate, prednisolone, prednisolone 25-diethylamino-acetate, prednisolone sodium phosphate, prednisone, prednival, prednylidene, rimexolone, tixocortol, triamcinolone, triamcinolone acetonide, triamcinolone benetonide, triamcinolone hexacetonide, fluocinolone.
6. The bioerodible implant of claim 5, wherein the steroidal anti-inflammatory agent constitutes from about 10% to about 90% by weight of the implant.
7. The bioerodible implant of claim 1, wherein the implant is implanted into the vitreous cavity of an eye of the subject.
8. The bioerodible implant of claim 1, wherein the medical condition of the eye is selected from the group consisting of uveitis, macular edema, macular degeneration, retinal detachment, ocular tumors, fungal infections, viral infections, multifocal choroiditis, diabetic retinopathy, proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR), sympathetic ophthalmia, Vogt Koyanagi Harada (VKH) syndrome, histoplasmosis, uveal diffusion, and vascular occlusion.
9. The bioerodible implant of claim 8, wherein the medical condition of the eye is uveitis, vascular occlusion, or macular edema.
10. The bioerodible implant of claim 1, wherein the first polymer comprises PLGA having hydrophilic end groups.
11. The bioerodible implant of claim 1, wherein the first polymer comprises PLGA having hydrophobic end groups.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.