|Title:||Method and composition for transdermal drug delivery|
|Abstract:||The invention is directed to a transdermal drug delivery composition which includes at least one physiologically active agent; and at least one volatile solvent; and at least one viscosity modulating agent. The invention extends to methods of administering such a composition to a subject and treatment of subjects using the composition.|
|Inventor(s):||Dipietro; Tony (Templestowe Lower, AU), Humberstone; Andrew (Vaud, CH), Gonda; Igor (South Yarra, AU), Watkinson; Adam (Lympne, GB), Setiawan; Kerrie (South Yarra, AU), Wilkins; Nina (Kensington, AU)|
|Assignee:||ACRUX DDS PTY LTD (West Melbourne, Victoria, AU)|
1. A method of increasing the testosterone blood level of an adult male subject in need thereof, comprising applying to at least one axilla of the subject in a
non-occlusive manner, a transdermal composition comprising: (a) testosterone; (b) from 40% to 99% v/v of volatile solvent selected from ethanol, isopropanol and mixtures thereof; and (c) from 0.01 to 15% w/v of octyl salicylate.
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition further comprises from 1-5% w/v of thickener.
3. A method according to claim 2, wherein the thickener is polyvinylpyrrolidone.
4. A method according to claim 1, wherein the adult male subject is suffering from androgen deficiency.
5. A method according to claim 1, wherein the adult male subject is suffering from hypogonadism.
6. A method according to claim 5, wherein the testosterone is applied in an amount to provide a serum level in the range of from 300 to 1000 ng/dh.