Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
|Title:||Method of treating middle ear infections|
|Abstract:||Aqueous suspension formulations containing dexamethasone and ciprofloxacin are disclosed for the treatment of middle ear infections in human patients having an open tympanic membrane.|
|Inventor(s):||Wall; G. Michael (Fort Worth, TX), Conroy; Peter J. (Fort Worth, TX)|
|Assignee:||ALCON PHARMACEUTICALS LTD (CH)|
1. A method of treating a middle ear infection in a human patient comprising the steps of: (a) diagnosing the patient as having otitis media and an open tympanic membrane in
at least one ear; and (b) topically applying into the ear canal of the patient's ear an aqueous suspension composition containing a combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone, wherein the composition comprises a) 0.01-0.5% (wt.) dexamethasone,
wherein the dexamethasone has an average particle size on a mean volume basis of less than 10 .mu.M; b) 0.1-0.4% (wt.) ciprofloxacin; c) 0.1-0.9% (wt.) tonicity agent; d) 0.01-0.2% (wt.) of a nonionic surfactant; e) a buffer; and wherein the
composition has a pH from about 3-5.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the dexamethasone is dexamethasone alcohol and the ciprofloxacin is ciprofloxacin hydrochloride, monohydrate.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the aqueous suspension composition contains 0.1% (wt.) dexamethasone and 0.3% (wt.) ciprofloxacin.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein three or four drops of the aqueous suspension composition are administered to the patient's ear twice a day, wherein each drop is 30-35 .mu.L.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the aqueous suspension composition consists essentially of a) 0.1% (wt.) dexamethasone alcohol; b) 0.35% (wt.) ciprofloxacin hydrochloride, monohydrate; c) NaCl in an amount sufficient to cause the composition to have an osmolality of about 250-350 mOsm; d) 0.2% (wt.) hydroxyethyl cellulose; e) 0.05% (wt.) tyloxapol; f) a buffer comprising sodium acetate and acetic acid; g) 0.01% (wt.) benzalkonium chloride; h) 0.01% (wt.) edetate disodium; i) 0.6% (wt.) boric acid; and wherein the composition has a pH of about 4.5.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the method further comprises the step of pumping the tragus to force the aqueous suspension composition through the open tympanic membrane and into the middle ear.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the dexamethasone has an average particle size on a mean volume basis of less than 3 .mu.m.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the otitis media is acute otitis media.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the otitis media is chronic suppurative otitis media.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein the aqueous suspension composition containing a combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone is packaged with directions for use that indicate the composition may be used to treat otitis media in patients with an open tympanic membrane.