Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Topical pharmaceutical formulations containing a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide in suspension in water and a water-miscible organic solvent|
|Abstract:||An aqueous formulation for topical application to the skin comprising water, a water-miscible organic solvent, and benzoyl peroxide, wherein the concentration of the organic solvent is sufficient to provide a stable suspension of benzoyl peroxide in the aqueous formulation without the inclusion of a surfactant in the formulation, wherein the ratio of concentrations of water and organic solvent in the formulation is sufficient to maintain the benzoyl peroxide in saturated solubility in the formulation following application to the skin, and wherein the concentration of benzoyl peroxide in the formulation is less than 5.0% and at least 1.0% w/w. The formulation may further contain a chemical compound in addition to benzoyl peroxide that is effective in the treatment of acne. The aqueous formulations of the invention are useful in the treatment of acne and acne rosacea.|
|Inventor(s):||Chang; Yunik (Sonoma, CA), Dow; Gordon J. (Santa Rosa, CA)|
|Assignee:||Dow Pharmaceutical Sciences, Inc. (Petaluma, CA)|
1. A surfactant-free, aqueous 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide gel formulation for topical application to the skin comprising: water, propylene glycol, 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide,
1.2% w/w clindamycin phosphate and a gelling agent, the gel formulation comprising a suspension of benzoyl peroxide in a saturated solution of benzoyl peroxide, in which the concentration of the propylene glycol is between one and four times the
concentration of the benzoyl peroxide, and in which the ratio of the water to the propylene glycol is at least 12:1.
2. The formulation of claim 1, in which the clindamycin phosphate is dissolved in the formulation.
3. The formulation of claim 1 in which the concentration of the propylene glycol is two times the concentration of the benzoyl peroxide.
4. The formulation of claim 2, in which the gelling agent is a carboxyvinyl polymer.
5. The formulation of claim 1, in which the benzoyl peroxide has a mean particle size of between 2.5 and 30 microns.
6. The formulation of claim 3, in which the ratio of the Water of the propylene glycol is at least 17.8:1.
7. A surfactant-free, aqueous 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide gel for topical application to the skin comprising: 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide, 5.0% w/w propylene glycol, 1.2% w/w clindamycin phosphate, 1.75% w/w carboxyvinyl polymer and 89.05% w/w water.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.