DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 9,044,398
|Title:||Abuse-deterrent pharmaceutical compositions of opiods and other drugs|
|Abstract:||An abuse-deterrent pharmaceutical composition has been developed to reduce the likelihood of improper administration of drugs, especially drugs such as opiods. In the preferred embodiment, a drug is modified to increase its lipophilicity. In preferred embodiments the modified drug is homogeneously dispersed within microparticles composed of a material that is either slowly soluble or not soluble in water. The abuse-deterrent composition retards the release of drug, even if the physical integrity of the formulation is compromised (for example, by chopping with a blade or crushing) and the resulting material is placed in water, snorted, or swallowed. However, when administered as directed, the drug is slowly released from the composition as the composition is broken down or dissolved gradually within the GI tract by a combination of enzymatic degradation, surfactant action of bile acids, and mechanical erosion.|
|Inventor(s):||Hirsh; Jane (Wellesley, MA), Klibanov; Alexander M. (Newton, MA), Swager; Timothy M. (Newton, MA), Buchwald; Stephen L. (Newton, MA), Lo; Whe Yong (Canton, MA), Fleming; Alison (Marshfield, MA), Rariy; Roman V. (Allston, MA)|
|Assignee:||Collegium Pharmaceutical, Inc. (Canton, MA)|
1. An abuse-deterrent pharmaceutical composition comprising a plurality of microparticles, where each microparticle comprises: a) a lipophilic drug derivative comprising a drug prone
to abuse and a fatty acid, and b) one or more carrier material(s) selected from the group consisting of fats, fatty substances, waxes, wax-like substances, and mixtures thereof; wherein manufacturing said microparticles comprises solubilizing the
lipophilic drug derivative in molten carrier material or dissolving the lipophilic drug derivative with the carrier material in a co-solvent; and wherein the release of a portion of incorporated drug is retarded when the physical integrity of the
composition is compromised and the compromised composition is exposed to water.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition is a controlled-release pharmaceutical composition.
3. The composition of claim 1 wherein the drug prone to abuse is selected from the group consisting of 1-phenylcyclohexylamine, 1-piperidinocyclohexanecarbonitrile, alfentanil, alphacetyhnethadol, alphaprodine, alprazolam, amobarbital, amphetamine, anileridine, apomorphine, aprobarbital, barbital, barbituric acid derivative, bemidone, benzoylecgonine, benzphetamine, betacetylmethadol, betaprodine, bezitramide, bromazepam, buprenorphine, butabarbital, butalbital, butorphanol, camazepam, cathine, chloral, chlordiazepoxide, clobazam, clonazepam, clorazepate, clotiazepam, cloxazolam, cocaine, codeine, chlorphentermine, delorazepam, dexfenfluramine, dextromoramide, dextropropoxyphen, dezocine, diazepam, diethylpropion, difenoxin, dihydrocodeine, dihydromorphine, dioxaphentyl butyrate, dipanone, diphenoxylate, diprenorphine, ecgonine, enadoline, eptazocine, estazolam, ethoheptazine, ethyl loflazepate, ethylmorphine, etorphine, femproponex, fencamfamin, fenfluramine, fentanyl, fludiazepam, flunitrazepam, flurazepam, glutethimide, halazepam, haloxazolam, hexalgon, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, isomethadone, hydrocodone, ketamine, ketazolam, ketobemidone, levanone, levoalphacetylmethadol, levomethadone, levomethadyl acetate, levomethorphan, levorphanol, lofentanil, loperamide, loprazolam, lorazepam, lormetazepam, lysergic acid, lysergic acid amide, mazindol, medazepam, mefenorex, meperidine, meptazinol, metazocine, methadone, methamphetamine, methohexital, methotrimeprazine, methyldihydromorphinone, methylphenidate, methylphenobarbital, metopon, morphine, nabilone, nalbuphine, nalbupine, nalorphine, narceine, nefopam, nicomorphine, nimetazepam, nitrazepam, nordiazepam, normethadone, normorphine, oxazepam, oxazolam, oxycodone, oxymorphone, pentazocine, pentobarbital, phenadoxone, phenazocine, phencyclidine, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, pheneridine, piminodine, prodilidine, properidine, propoxyphene, racemethorphan, racemorphan, racemoramide, remifentanil, secobarbital, sufentanil, talbutal, thebaine, thiamylal, thiopental, tramadol, trimeperidine, vinbarbital, allobarbitone, alprazolam, amylobarbitone, aprobarbital, barbital, barbitone, benzphetamine, brallobarbital, bromazepam, brotizolam, buspirone, butalbital, butobarbitone, butorphanol, camazepam, captodiame, carbromal, carfentanil, carpipramine, cathine, choral, chloral betaine, chloral hydrate, chloralose, chlordiazepoxide, chlorhexadol, chlormethiazole edisylate, chlormezanone, cinolazepam, clobazam, potassium clorazepate, clotiazepam, cloxazolam, cyclobarbitone, delorazepam, dexfenfluramine, diazepam, diethylpropion, difebarbamate, difenoxin, enciprazine, estazolam, ethyl loflazepate, etizolam, febarbamate, fencamfamin, fenfluramine, fenproporex, fluanisone, fludiazepam, flunitraam, flunitrazepam, flurazepam, flutoprazepam, gepirone, glutethimide, halazepam, haloxazolam, hexobarbitone, ibomal, ipsapirone, ketazolam, loprazolam mesylate, lorazepam, lormetazepam, mazindol, mebutamate, medazepam, mefenorex, mephobarbital, meprobamate, metaclazepam, methaqualone, methohexital, methylpentynol, methylphenobarbital, midazolam, milazolam, morphine, nimetazepam, nitrazepam, nordiazepam, oxazepam, oxazolam, paraldehyde, pemoline, pentabarbitone, pentazocine, pentobarbital, phencyclidine, phenobarbital, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, phenprobamate, phentermine, phenyacetone, pinazepam, pipradol, prazepam, proxibarbal, quazepam, quinalbaritone, secobarbital, secbutobarbitone, sibutramine, temazepam, tetrazepam, triazolam, triclofos, zalepan, zaleplon, zolazepam, zolpidem, and zopiclone.
4. The composition of claim 3 wherein the drug prone to abuse is selected from the group consisting of oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, morphine, tramadol, methylphenidate, and amphetamine.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the drug prone to abuse is oxycodone.
6. The composition of claim 1 wherein the fatty acid has a chain length of C.sub.5 to C.sub.30.
7. The composition of claim 1 wherein one or more carrier materials is a wax or a wax-like substance.
8. The composition of claim 7 wherein the wax is selected from the group consisting of beeswax, glycowax, castor wax, carnauba wax, paraffins, and candelilla wax.
9. The composition of claim 1, wherein the drug prone to abuse is oxycodone, the fatty acid has a chain length of C.sub.5 to C.sub.30, and one or more carrier materials is a wax selected from the group consisting of beeswax, glycowax, castor wax, carnauba wax, paraffins, and candelilla wax.
10. The composition of claim 1, wherein the microparticles are further formulated into a tablet or capsule for oral administration.
11. The composition of claim 9, wherein the microparticles are further formulated into a tablet or capsule for oral administration.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.