.

Pharmaceutical Business Intelligence

  • Anticipate P&T budget requirements
  • Evaluate market entry opportunities
  • Find generic sources and suppliers
  • Predict branded drug patent expiration

► Plans and Pricing

Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing

DrugPatentWatch Database Preview

Claims for Patent: 8,991,387

« Back to Dashboard

Claims for Patent: 8,991,387

Title:Self-contained heating unit and drug-supply unit employing same
Abstract: Heating units, drug supply units and drug delivery articles capable of rapid heating are disclosed. Heating units comprising a substrate and a solid fuel capable of undergoing an exothermic metal oxidation reaction disposed within the substrate are disclosed. These heating units can be actuated by electrical resistance, by optical ignition or by percussion. Drug supply units and drug delivery articles wherein a solid fuel is configured to heat a substrate to a temperature sufficient to rapidly thermally vaporize a drug disposed thereon are also disclosed.
Inventor(s): Damani; Ramesh (Sunnyvale, CA), Hale; Ron L. (Sandia Park, NM), Myers; Daniel J. (Mountain View, CA), Quintana; Reynaldo J. (Redwood City, CA), Solas; Dennis W. (San Francisco, CA), Song; Soonho (Seoul, KR), Soni; Pravin (Sunnyvale, CA), Tom; Curtis (San Mateo, CA), Sharma; Krishnamohan (Milpitas, CA)
Assignee: Alexza Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)
Application Number:13/783,508
Patent Claims: 1. A heating unit comprising: a) an enclosure comprising at least one substrate having an exterior surface and an interior surface, wherein the at least one substrate has a thickness in the range of 0.001 to 0.020 inches; b) a layer of solid fuel disposed within the enclosure wherein the solid fuel layer has a thickness in the range of 0.001 to 0.030 inches and wherein the solid fuel is configured to heat a portion of the exterior surface of the at least one substrate to a temperature of at least 200.degree. C. within 3 seconds following ignition of the solid fuel; and c) an igniter disposed at least partially within the enclosure for igniting the solid fuel.

2. The heating unit of claim 1 wherein within 1 second after ignition of the solid fuel, no more than 10% of said area of the exterior surface has a temperature 50.degree. C. to 100.degree. C. less than the remaining 90% of said area of the exterior surface.

3. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein within 500 milliseconds after ignition of the solid fuel, no more than 10% of said area of the exterior surface has a temperature 50.degree. C. to 100.degree. C. less than the remaining 90% of said area of the exterior surface.

4. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein within 250 milliseconds after ignition of the solid fuel, no more than 10% of said area of the exterior surface has a temperature 50.degree. C. to 100.degree. C. less than the remaining 90% of said area of the exterior surface.

5. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the thin layer of solid fuel has a thickness in the range of 0.001 to 0.005 inches.

6. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the enclosure comprises more than one substrate.

7. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the substrate is a metal foil having a thickness in the range of 0.001 to 0.010 inches.

8. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the solid fuel comprises a metal reducing agent and a metal containing oxidizing agent.

9. The heating unit of claim 8, wherein the metal containing oxidizing agent is selected from at least one of the following: MoO.sub.3, KClO.sub.4, KClO.sub.3, and Fe.sub.2O.sub.3.

10. The heating unit of claim 8, wherein the metal reducing agent is selected from at least one of the following: aluminum, zirconium, iron, and titanium.

11. The heating unit of claim 8, wherein the amount of metal reducing agent comprises from 60% to 90% by weight of the total dry weight of the solid fuel.

12. The heating unit of claim 8, wherein the amount of metal reducing agent comprises from 10% to 40% by weight of the total dry weight of the solid fuel.

13. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the solid fuel comprises at least one additive material.

14. The heating unit of claim 13, wherein the additive material is selected from at least one of the following: a clay gelling agent, nitrocellulose, polyvinylalcohol, diatomaceous earthy glass beads and a colloidal silica.

15. The heating unit of claim 7, wherein the substrate has a thickness in the range of 0.002 to 0.010 inches.

16. The heating unit of claim 7, wherein the substrate has a thickness in the range of 0.002 to 0.005 inches.

17. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the substrate is a metal, an alloy, or a ceramic.

18. The heating unit of claim 1 wherein the igniter comprises: an optical window in the enclosure; and a light sensitive initiator composition disposed within the enclosure.

19. The heating unit of claim 18, where the initiator composition comprises a reducing agent and an oxidizing agent.

20. The heating unit of claim 19, wherein the reducing agent of the initiator composition is selected from at least one of the following: zirconium, titanium, and aluminum.

21. The heating unit of claim 19, wherein the oxidizing agent of the initiator composition is selected from at least one of the following: molybdenum trioxide, potassium perchlorate, copper oxide, and tungsten trioxide.

22. The heating unit of claim 18, wherein the initiator composition comprises aluminum, boron, molybdenum trioxide, and a clay gelling agent.

23. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the substrate comprises a multi-layer structure.

24. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein substrate is a polyimide, a polyester, or a fluoropolymer.

25. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the igniter is a percussive igniter.

26. The heating unit of claim 25, further comprising at least one impulse absorbing material disposed within the enclosure.

27. The heating unit of claim 25, further comprising a spacer providing an empty volume within the enclosure.

28. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein at the least one substrate is a metal, an alloy, or a ceramic.

29. The heating unit of claim 1, wherein the enclosure is capable of withstanding an internal pressure of at least 50 psig.

30. The heating unit of claim 1, further comprising a drug layer on a portion of the exterior surface of the at least one substrate.
« Back to Dashboard

For more information try a trial or see the database preview and plans and pricing

How are People Using DrugPatentWatch?

Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.

`abc