|Title:||Formulations of low dose diclofenac and beta-cyclodextrin|
|Abstract:|| The present invention is directed to a pharmaceutical composition containing a unit dose of a diclofenac compound effective to induce analgesia; and a beta-cyclodextrin compound; wherein the dose of the diclofenac compound is less than 75 mg, e.g., from about 18.75 mg to about 37.5 mg. The present invention is also directed to methods of treating a subject in need of analgesia with the pharmaceutical compositions of the invention.|
|Inventor(s):|| Wright; Curtis (Rockport, MA), Carr; Daniel B. (Chestnut Hill, MA), Mermelstein; Fred H. (Newtown, MA) |
|Assignee:|| Javelin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Lake Forest, IL) |
1. A method of providing analgesia to a subject in need thereof, which method comprises parenterally administering to the subject a pharmaceutical composition, wherein the
composition comprises: (a) from about 18.75 mg to about 37.5 mg of a diclofenac compound; and (b) a beta-cyclodextrin compound; wherein the dosage of the diclofenac compound is less than about 1.3 mg/kg per day; and wherein the method achieves at
least about 82% of maximum observable total pain relief assessed by a Visual Analog Scale.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the diclofenac compound is diclofenac sodium.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the pharmaceutical composition is administered intravenously.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the dose of the diclofenac compound is 18.75 mg (+/-20%).
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the dose diclofenac compound is 37.5 mg (+/-20%).