DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,895,070
|Title:||Topical pharmaceutical formulations containing a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide in suspension in water and a water-miscible organic solvent|
|Abstract:||An aqueous formulation for topical application to the skin comprising water, a water-miscible organic solvent, and benzoyl peroxide, wherein the concentration of the organic solvent is sufficient to provide a stable suspension of benzoyl peroxide in the aqueous formulation without the inclusion of a surfactant in the formulation, wherein the ratio of concentrations of water and organic solvent in the formulation is sufficient to maintain the benzoyl peroxide in saturated solubility in the formulation following application to the skin, and wherein the concentration of benzoyl peroxide in the formulation is less than 5.0% and at least 1.0% w/w. The formulation may further contain a chemical compound in addition to benzoyl peroxide that is effective in the treatment of acne. The aqueous formulations of the invention are useful in the treatment of acne and acne rosacea.|
|Inventor(s):||Chang; Yunik (Sonoma, CA), Dow; Gordon J. (Santa Rosa, CA)|
|Assignee:||Dow Pharmaceutical Sciences, Inc. (Petaluma, CA)|
1. A method for treating acne comprising applying once a day for up to 12 weeks to the skin of a patient in need thereof a surfactant-free, aqueous 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide
gel that is suitable for topical application to the skin and that comprises water, a water-miscible organic solvent, 2.5% w/w benzoyl peroxide and 1.2% w/w clindamycin phosphate, and a suspension of benzoyl peroxide, the concentration (w/w) of the
organic solvent being between one and four times the concentration (w/w) of the benzoyl peroxide, and the ratio of the water to the organic solvent being at least 12:1.
2. The method of claim 1, in which the clindamycin phosphate is dissolved in the gel.
3. The method of claim 2, in which the water-miscible organic solvent is propylene glycol.
4. The method of claim 3, in which the concentration of the water-miscible organic solvent is two times the concentration of the benzoyl peroxide.
5. The method of claim 2, in which the gelling agent is a carboxyvinyl polymer.
6. The method of claim 3, in which the benzoyl peroxide has a mean particle size of between 2.5 and 30 microns.
7. The method of claim 5, in which the benzoyl peroxide has a mean particle size of between 2.5 and 30 microns.
8. The method of claim 4, in which the ratio of the water to the water-miscible organic solvent is at least 17.8:1.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.