DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Join the DrugPatentWatch Referral Program Get access to a free drug patent landscape report or a free one-month subscription
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,889,740
|Title:||Composition and method for treating neurological disease|
|Abstract:||Disclosed are compositions comprising amantadine, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, and one or more excipients, wherein at least one of the excipients modifies release of amantadine. Methods of administering the same are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Went; Gregory T. (Mill Valley, CA), Fultz; Timothy J. (Jasper, GA), Porter; Seth (San Carlos, CA), Meyerson; Laurence R. (Las Vegas, NV), Burkoth; Timothy S. (Lake Bluff, IL)|
|Assignee:||Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Emeryville, CA)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 8,889,740|
1. A dosage form suitable for once-daily administration to a human subject consisting of (i) 50 mg to 500 mg of a drug selected from the group consisting of amantadine and
pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof, and (ii) at least one excipient, wherein at least 50% of the drug in the dosage form is in an extended release form, and wherein the dosage form provides a mean change in amantadine plasma concentration as a
function of time (dC/dT) as measured in a single dose human pharmacokinetic study over the time period between 2 hours and 4 hours after administration that is less than 30% of the dC/dT provided by the same quantity of the drug in an immediate release
form as measured in a single dose human pharmacokinetic study over the time period between 0 and 2 hours after administration.
2. The dosage form of claim 1, comprising an osmotic device, which utilizes an osmotic driving force to provide extended release of amantadine.
3. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein the amount of drug is 100 to 500 mg.
4. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein the amount of drug is 200 to 500 mg.
5. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein at least 75% of the drug in the dosage form is in an extended release form.
6. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein at least 90% of the drug in the dosage form is in an extended release form.
7. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein the dosage form provides a shift in amantadine Tmax of 2 hours to 16 hours relative to an immediate release form of amantadine, wherein the Tmax is measured in a single dose human pharmacokinetic study.
8. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein the extent of drug bioavailability is maintained.
9. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein the dosage form additionally comprises the drug in an immediate release form.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.