DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,865,139
|Title:||Topical tetracycline compositions|
|Abstract:||A topical therapeutic hydrophobic breakable composition includes a carrier comprising (a) about 60% to about 99% by weight of at least one hydrophobic oil; (b) at least one viscosity-modifying agents selected from the group consisting of a fatty alcohol, a fatty acid and a wax; and (c) a tetracycline antibiotic, characterized in that at least part of the tetracycline antibiotic is suspended in the composition; the viscosity of the composition is at least about 30% higher than the viscosity of the carrier without the tetracycline antibiotic; and is higher than the viscosity of the hydrophobic oil and the tetracycline antibiotic without the viscosity modifying agents. The tetracycline is chemically stable in the composition for at least six months; wherein more than about 90% of the tetracycline has not broken down. The composition is packaged as a breakable foam that breaks easily upon application of shear force.|
|Inventor(s):||Tamarkin; Dov (Macabim, IL), Gazal; Elana (Rehovot, IL), Papiashvili; Irakliy (Ashkelon, IL), Hazot; Yohan (Rehovot, IL), Schuz; David (Gimzu, IL), Keynan; Rita (Rehovot, IL)|
|Assignee:||Foamix Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (Rehovot, IL)|
1. A composition comprising a carrier comprising: a) about 60% to 99% by weight of the composition of at least one hydrophobic oil; and b) at least one viscosity-modifying
agent that is a combination comprising (i) at least one fatty alcohol and at least one wax; (ii) at least one fatty acid and at least one wax; or (iii) at least one fatty alcohol, at least one fatty acid, and at least one wax; wherein the wax is
selected from the group consisting of a plant wax, an animal wax, a petroleum derived wax, and a vegetable wax; or wherein the wax is selected from the group consisting of an albacer wax, an atlasene wax, a cardis wax, a ceramid, an alkyl-substituted
aromatic compound, a naphthene-substituted aromatic compound, a beeswax, a BASF wax, a carnauba wax, a chinese wax, a cotton wax, a bayberry wax, a carnauba wax, a castor wax, a cuban palm wax, a duroxon wax, an esparto wax, a fat wax, a flax wax, a
fischer-tropsch wax, a fir wax, a flexo wax a flower wax, glyco waxes, a japan wax, a jojoba oil, a lanolin wax, a palm wax, a rice bran wax, a rice-oil wax, a shellac wax, a soy wax, an ucuhuba wax, a hydrogenated oil, a hydrogenated castor oil, a
hydrogenated cottonseed oil, a hydrogenated jojoba oil, a mink wax, a mixture of saturated n- and isoalkanes, a montan wax, a naphthene, an ouricury wax, an oxazoline wax, an ozokerite, a paraffin wax, a paraffin 58-62.degree. C. wax, paraffin
51-53.degree. C. wax, paraffin 42-44.degree. C. wax, a polyethylene wax, a PEG-6 beeswax, a polymekon wax, a retamo wax, a rezo wax, a sandy wax, a spent grain wax, a stearyl dimethicone, a sugarcane wax, a synthetic mineral wax, and mixtures and any
two or more thereof; the carrier being otherwise free of or containing less than 0.1% by weight of a surfactant; a tetracycline antibiotic, at least part of which is suspended in the composition; and a liquefied or compressed gas propellant; wherein
the composition is waterless; and wherein when packaged in an aerosol container and pressurized with a liquefied or compressed gas propellant, the composition affords upon release from the container a foam that breaks upon application of shear force.
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the viscosity of the composition is at least 30% higher than the viscosity of the carrier without the tetracycline antibiotic, and is higher than the viscosity of the hydrophobic oil and the tetracycline antibiotic without the viscosity modifying agent.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein after storage at 25.degree. C. for at least six months the composition retains at least 90% of the tetracycline initially present in the composition.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is in the form of a gel before addition of propellant; wherein the gel liquefies and spreads upon application of shear force.
5. The composition of claim 1, wherein the foam has a collapse time of greater than 3 minutes.
6. The composition of claim 1, wherein the weight ratio of composition other than propellant to propellant is from 100:1 to 100:25.
7. The composition of claim 1, wherein the at least one hydrophobic oil is selected from the group consisting of a mineral oil, a hydrocarbon oil, an ester oil, an ester of a dicarboxylic acid, a triglyceride oil, an oil of plant origin, an oil from animal origin, an unsaturated or polyunsaturated oil, a diglyceride, a PPG alkyl ether, an essential oil, a silicone oil, liquid paraffin, an isoparaffin, a polyalphaolefin, a polyolefin, polyisobutylene, a synthetic isoalkane, isohexadecane, isododecane, alkyl benzoate, alkyl octanoate, C12-C15 alkyl benzoate, C12-C15 alkyl octanoate, arachidyl behenate, arachidyl propionate, benzyl laurate, benzyl myristate, benzyl palmitate, bis (octyldodecyl stearoyl) dimer dilinoleate, butyl myristate, butyl stearate, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, cetearyl isononanoate, cetyl acetate, cetyl ethylhexanoate, cetyl lactate, cetyl myristate, cetyl octanoate, cetyl palmitate, cetyl ricinoleate, decyl oleate, diethyleneglycol diethylhexanoate, diethyleneglycol dioctanoate, diethyleneglycol diisononanoate, diethyleneglycol diisononanoate, diethylhexanoate, diethylhexyl adipate, diethylhexyl malate, diethylhexyl succinate, diisopropyl adipate, diisopropyl dimerate, diisopropyl sebacate, diisosteary dimer dilinoleate, diisostearyl fumerate, dioctyl malate, dioctyl sebacate, dodecyl oleate, ethylhexyl palmitate, ester derivatives of lanolic acid, ethylhexyl cocoate, ethylhexyl ethylhexanoate, ethylhexyl hydroxystarate, ethylhexyl isononanoate, ethylhexyl palmytate, ethylhexyl pelargonate, ethylhexyl stearate, hexadecyl stearate, hexyl laurate, isoamyl laurate, isocetyl isocetyl behenate, isocetyl lanolate, isocetyl palmitate, isocetyl stearate, isocetyl salicylate, isocetyl stearate, isocetyl stearoyl stearate, isocetearyl octanoate, isodecyl ethylhexanoate, isodecyl isononanoate, isodecyl oleate, isononyl isononanoate, isodecyl oleate, isohexyl decanoate, isononyl octanoate, isopropyl isostearate, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl laurate, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl palmitate, isopropyl stearate, isostearyl behenate, isosteary citrate, isostearyl erucate, isostearyl glycolate, isostearyl isononanoate, isostearyl isostearate, isostearyl lactate, isostearyl linoleate, isostearyl linolenate, isostearyl malate, isostearyl neopentanoate, isostearyl palmitate, isosteary salicylate, isosteary tartarate, isotridecyl isononanoate, isotridecyl isononanoate, lauryl lactate, myristyl lactate, myristyl myristate, myristyl neopentanoate, myristyl propionate, octyldodecyl myristate, neopentylglycol dicaprate, octyl dodecanol, octyl stearate, octyl palmitate, octyldodecyl behenate, octyldodecyl hydroxystearate, octyldodecyl myristate, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, oleyl erucate, oleyl lactate, oleyl oleate, propyl myristate, propylene glycol myristyl ether acetate, propylene glycol dicaprate, propylene glycol dicaprylate, maleated soybean oil, stearyl caprate, stearyl heptanoate, stearyl propionate, tocopheryl acetate, tocopheryl linoleate, glyceryl oleate, tridecyl ethylhexanoate, tridecyl isononanoate, triisocetyl citrate, an alexandria laurel tree oil, an avocado oil, an apricot stone oil, a barley oil, a borage seed oil, a calendula oil, a canelle nut tree oil, a canola oil, caprylic/capric triglycerides, a castor oil, a coconut oil, a corn oil, a cotton oil, a cottonseed oil, an evening primrose oil, a flaxseed oil, a groundnut oil, a hazelnut oil, glycereth triacetate, glycerol triheptanoate, glyceryl trioctanoate, glyceryl triundecanoate, a hempseed oil, a jojoba oil, a lucerne oil, a maize germ oil, a marrow oil, a millet oil, a neopentylglycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, an olive oil, a palm oil, a passionflower oil, pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, a poppy oil, propylene glycol ricinoleate, a rapeseed oil, a rye oil, a safflower oil, a sesame oil, a shea butter, a soya oil, a soybean oil, a sweet almond oil, a sunflower oil, a sysymbrium oil, a syzigium aromaticum oil, a tea tree oil, a walnut oil, wheat germ glycerides, a wheat germ oil, a PPG-2 butyl ether, a PPG-4 butyl ether, a PPG-5 butyl ether, a PPG-9 butyl ether, a PPG-12 butyl ether, a PPG-14 butyl ether, a PPG-15 butyl ether, a PPG-15 stearyl ether, a PPG-16 butyl ether, a PPG-17 butyl ether, a PPG-18 butyl ether, a PPG-20 butyl ether, a PPG-22 butyl ether, a PPG-24 butyl ether, a PPG-26 butyl ether, a PPG-30 butyl ether, a PPG-33 butyl ether, a PPG-40 butyl ether, a PPG-52 butyl ether, a PPG-53 butyl ether, a PPG-10 cetyl ether, a PPG-28 cetyl ether, a PPG-30 cetyl ether, a PPG-50 cetyl ether, a PPG-30 isocetyl ether, a PPG-4 lauryl ether, a PPG-7 lauryl ether, a PPG-2 methyl ether, a PPG-3 methyl ether, a PPG-3 myristyl ether, a PPG-4 myristyl ether, a PPG-10 oleyl ether, a PPG-20 oleyl ether, a PPG-23 oleyl ether, a PPG-30 oleyl ether, a PPG-37 oleyl ether, a PPG-40 butyl ether, a PPG-50 oleyl ether, a PPG-11 stearyl ether, a herring oil, a cod-liver oil, a salmon oil, a cyclomethicone, a dimethyl polysiloxane, a dimethicone, an epoxy-modified silicone oil, a fatty acid-modified silicone oil, a fluoro group-modified silicone oil, a methylphenylpolysiloxane, phenyl trimethicone, a polyether group-modified silicone oil, and mixtures of any two or more thereof.
8. The composition of claim 1, wherein the fatty alcohol or the fatty acid has at least 12 carbon atoms in its carbon backbone.
9. The composition of claim 1, wherein the fatty alcohol or the fatty acid have a melting point of more than 40.degree. C.
10. The composition of claim 9, wherein the fatty alcohol is selected from the group consisting of lauryl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, arachidyl alcohol, behenyl alcohol, tetracosanol, hexacosanol, octacosanol, triacontanol, tetratriacontanol; and wherein the fatty acid is selected from the group consisting of dodecanoic acid, tetradecanoic acid, hexadecanoic acid, heptadecanoic acid, octadecanoic acid, eicosanoic acid, docosanoic acid, tetracosanoic acid, hexacosanoic acid, heptacosanoic acid, octacosanoic acid, triacontanoic acid, dotriacontanoic acid, tritriacontanoic acid, tetratriacontanoic acid, and pentatriacontanoic acid.
11. The composition of claim 9, wherein the carbon chain of the fatty alcohol or the fatty acid is substituted with a hydroxyl group.
12. The composition of claim 11, wherein the fatty acid is 12-hydroxy stearic acid.
13. The composition of claim 1, wherein the wax is selected from the group consisting of a carnauba wax, an ouricury wax, a sugarcane wax, a retamo wax, a jojoba oil, a beeswax, a petroleum derived wax, a paraffin wax, a polyethylene wax, a hydrogenated castor oil, and mixtures of any two or more thereof.
14. The composition of claim 1, wherein the viscosity-modifying agent is a combination comprising at least one fatty alcohol, at least one fatty acid, and least one wax, wherein the at least one wax comprises a beeswax, a hydrogenated oil, or both.
15. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition contains less than 0.4% by weight of protic solvents, polar aprotic solvents, and silicone thickening agents.
16. The composition of claim 15, wherein the composition contains less than 0.2% by weight of protic solvents, polar aprotic solvents, and silicone thickening agents.
17. The composition of claim 16, wherein the composition contains less than 0.1% by weight of protic solvents, polar aprotic solvents, and silicone thickening agents.
18. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition contains less than 0.4% by weight of polymeric gelling agents, polyols, short chain alcohols, and silicone thickening agents.
19. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is selected from the group consisting of a tetracycline, an oxytetracycline, a demeclocycline, a doxycycline, a lymecycline, a meclocycline, a methacycline, a minocycline, a rolitetracycline, a chlorotetracycline, and a tigecycline.
20. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is hydrophobic.
21. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is present in a free base form, a hydrate form, a salt form, or a complex form.
22. The composition of claim 21, wherein the Log of the distribution constant of the tetracycline antibiotic at pH 7.0 (buffer/chloroform) is equal to or less than 0.2.
23. The composition of claim 21, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic does not comprise a hydroxy group at carbons 5, 6, and 7.
24. The composition of claim 21, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is selected from the group consisting of a minocycline, a doxycycline, and mixtures thereof.
25. The composition of claim 1, further comprising an additional active agent.
26. The composition of claim 25, wherein the additional active agent is selected form the group consisting of an active herbal extract, an acaricide, an age spot and keratose removing agent, an allergen, an alpha hydroxyl acid, an analgesic agent, an androgen, an antiacne agent, an antiallergic agent, an antiaging agent, an antibacterial agent, an antibiotic, an antiburn agent, an anticancer agent, an antidandruff agent, an antidepressant, an antidermatitis agent, an antiedemic agent, an antifungal agent, an antihistamine, an antihelminth agent, an anti-hyperkeratosis agent, an anti-infective agent, an antiinflammatory agent, an antiirritant, an antilipemic agent, an antimicrobial agent, an antimycotic agent, an antioxidant, an antiparasitic agent, an antiproliferative agent, an antipruritic agent, an antipsoriatic agent, an antirosacea agent, an antiseborrheic agent, an antiseptic agent, an antiswelling agent, an antiviral agent, an anti-wart agent, an anti-wrinkle agent, an antiyeast agent, an astringent, a beta-hydroxy acid, benzoyl peroxide, a topical cardiovascular agent, a chemotherapeutic agent, a corticosteroid, an immunogenic substance, a dicarboxylic acid, a disinfectant, an estrogen, a fungicide, a hair growth regulator, a haptene, a hormone, a hydroxy acid, an immunosuppressant, an immunoregulating agent, an immunomodulator, an immunostimulant, an insecticide, an insect repellent, a keratolytic agent, a lactam, a local anesthetic agent, a lubricating agent, a masking agent, a metal, a metal oxide, a mitocide, a neuropeptide, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, an oxidizing agent, a pediculicide, a peptide, a pesticide, a protein, a photodynamic therapy agent, a progesterone, a radical scavenger, a refatting agent, a retinoid, a sanative, a scabicide, a sedative, a self tanning agent, a skin protective agent, a skin whitening agent, a steroid, a steroid hormone, a vasoactive agent, a vasoconstrictor, a vasodilator, a vitamin, a vitamin A, a vitamin A derivative, a vitamin B, a vitamin B derivative, a vitamin C, a vitamin C derivative, a vitamin D, a vitamin D derivative, a vitamin D analog, a vitamin F, a vitamin F derivative, a vitamin K, a vitamin K derivative, a wound healing agent, and a wart remover.
27. The composition of claim 24, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is minocycline.
28. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is free of one or more of protic solvents, polar aprotic solvents, polymeric gelling agents, polyols, short chain alcohols, and silicone thickening agents.
29. The composition of claim 1, wherein the viscosity of the composition is at least 100% higher than the viscosity of the composition without the tetracycline antibiotic.
30. The composition of claim 1, wherein the at least one viscosity-modifying agent is about 0.1% to about 40% by weight of the composition.
31. The composition of claim 30, wherein the at least one viscosity-modifying agent is about 0.4% to about 18% by weight of the composition.
32. The composition of claim 31, wherein the at least one viscosity-modifying agent is about 1% to about 12% by weight of the composition.
33. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is about 0.001% to about 10% by weight of the composition.
34. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tetracycline antibiotic is about 0.025% to about 6% by weight of the composition.
35. The composition of claim 1, wherein the carrier is essentially free of surfactant.
36. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition comprises less than 15% petrolatum by weight of the composition.
37. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition comprises less than 10% petrolatum by weight of the composition.
38. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition comprises less than 5% of petrolatum by weight of the composition.
39. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is free of petrolatum.
40. A method of treating or alleviating the symptoms of a dermatological, an ophthalmological, a gynecological, or mucosal disorder, comprising: applying to a target area a composition of claim 1, wherein the disorder includes at least one etiological factor selected from the group consisting of an infection, an inflammation, oxidative stress, neurodegeneration, and apoptosis.
41. The method of claim 40, wherein the dermatological disorder is selected from the group consisting of an abscess, acne, acne conglobata, acne fulminans, acne vulgaris, acne scars, acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis, acute lymphangitis, allergic contact dermatitis, alopecia, athlete's foot, atopic dermatitis, bacterial skin infections, bullous pemphigoid, burn, calluses candidiasis, carbuncles, cellulitis, chemical burns, chicken pox, cholinergic urticaria, chronic effects of sunlight, comedones, corns, creeping eruption, cutaneous abscess, cutaneous myiasis, delusional parasitosis, dermatitis, dermatitis herpetiformis, dermatological inflammation, dermatophytoses, drug eruptions and reactions, dyshidrotic eczema, eczema, epidermoid cyst, epidermal necrolysis, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme, folliculitis, fungal nail infections, fungal skin infections, furuncles, gangrene, genital herpes, head lice, impetigo, inflammatory acne, ingrown nails, intertrigo, irritant contact dermatitis, ischemic necrosis, itching, jock itch, Kaposi's sarcoma, molluscum contagiosum, MRSA, necrotizing subcutaneous infection, necrotizing fasciitis, necrotizing myositis, nodular papulopustular acne, non-inflammatory acne, nummular dermatitis, parapsoriasis paronychia, parasitic skin infections, pemphigus, photo-allergy, photo-damage, photo-irritation, photosensitivity, papules, pediculosis, perioral dermatitis, pimples, pityriasis rosea, pityriasis rosea, pityriasis rubra pilaris, poison ivy, post-operative or post-surgical skin conditions, pressure ulcers, pressure urticaria, pruritis, pseudofolliculitis barbae, psoriasis, pustules, rosacea, scabies, scarring, scleroderma, sebaceous cyst, seborrheic dermatitis, seborrheic keratosis, shingles, skin aging, skin rash, skin ulcers, staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome, sunburn, thermal burns, tinea corporis, tinea cruris, tinea pedis, tinea versicolor, toxic epidermal necrolysis, trauma or injury to the skin, varicella zoster virus, viral skin infections, wrinkles, and yeast skin infections.
42. The method of claim 40, wherein the gynecological or mucosal disorder is selected from the group consisting of a disorder of a body cavity or mucosal surface, a disorder of the nose, mouth, eye, ear, respiratory system, vagina, urethra, or rectum, chlamydia infection, gonorrhea infection, herpes, human papillomavirus (HPV), genital warts, bacterial vaginosis, candidiasis, molluscum contagiosum, nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), trichomoniasis, vulvodynia, yeast infection, pelvic inflammation, anal abscess/fistula, anal fissure, and hemorrhoids.
43. The method of claim 40, wherein the ophthalmological disorder is selected from the group consisting of an eye infection, an eye redness, eyelid problems, ophtahlmic allergy, blepharitis, corneal abrasion, corneal edema, corneal ulcer, conjunctivitis, contact lens complications, dry eye, eyelid cellulitis, glaucoma, macular degeneration, macular edema, ocular cicatricial pemphigoid, obstructed tear duct, ocular rosacea, optic neuritis, orbital cellulitis, recurrent corneal erosion, trachoma, and uveitis.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.