Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Medicinal aerosols and methods of delivery thereof|
|Abstract:||The replacement of chlorofluorohydrocarbon propellants in medical aerosols is of the utmost importance to the pharmaceutical industry. A number of formulations have been investigated. The present invention provides a medical aerosol formulation comprising a particular medicament, a fluorocarbon propellant and 6 to 25% w/w of the total formulation of a polar co-solvent, such formulation being substantially free of surfactant. Canisters suitable for delivering such a pharmaceutical formulation are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Millar; Fiona Catherine (Waterford, IE)|
|Assignee:||Norton Healthcare Limited (London, GB)|
1. A product suitable for delivering a pharmaceutical aerosol formulation comprising, (a) an aerosol canister comprising a container closed with a metering valve, said
container comprising a pharmaceutical suspension aerosol formulation substantially free of surfactant, and which comprises salbutamol sulphate, ethanol in an amount of 10% w/w to 15% w/w, and 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, wherein salbutamol sulphate is
substantially completely insoluble in the 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, and (b) an actuator with a spray orifice aperture of from 100 to 300 microns.
2. The product of claim 1, wherein the aerosol formulation contains ethanol in the amount of 11.4% w/w.
3. The product of claim 1, wherein the aerosol formulation contains 1,1,1,2tetrafluoroethane in the amount of 88.2% w/w.
4. The product of claim 1, wherein the aerosol formulation contains salbutamol sulphate in the amount of 0.4% w/w, ethanol in the amount of 11.4% w/w, and 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane in the amount of 88.2% w/w.
5. The product of claim 1, wherein the spray orifice aperture is from 150 to 250 microns.
6. The product of claim 5, wherein ethanol is present in the amount of 10% w/w to 15% w/w.