Generated: April 29, 2017
|Title:||Sequestering subunit and related compositions and methods|
|Abstract:||A sequestering subunit comprising an aversive agent and a blocking agent, wherein the blocking agent substantially prevents release of the aversive agent from the sequestering subunit in the gastrointestinal tract for a time period that is greater than 24 hours; a composition comprising a sequestering subunit in releasable form, wherein, optionally, the mechanical fragility of the sequestering subunit is the same as the mechanical fragility of the therapeutic agent in releasable form; a capsule or tablet comprising a sequestering subunit and a therapeutic agent; and a method of preventing abuse of a therapeutic agent.|
|Inventor(s):||Boehm; Garth (Westfield, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Alpharma Pharmaceuticals LLC (Bridgewater, NJ)|
1. A method of treating pain in a human being comprising administering to the human being a plurality of composite subunits, each composite subunit comprising a
sequestering subunit comprising naltrexone and a blocking agent comprising a surfactant wherein the blocking agent substantially prevents release of the naltrexone from the sequestering subunit in the gastrointestinal tract, the sequestering subunit
being overcoated with an opioid agonist in releasable form.
2. The method of 1 wherein the opioid agonist is selected from the group consisting of morphine, hydromorphone, oxycodone, and hydrocodone.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the opioid agonist is morphine.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the blocking agent further comprises a pharmaceutically acceptable hydrophobic material.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein the pharmaceutically acceptable hydrophobic material is insoluble in the gastrointestinal tract.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the pharmaceutically acceptable hydrophobic material is a copolymer of acrylic acid and methacrylic acid.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein the pharmaceutically acceptable hydrophobic material is Eudragit RSPO.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the surfactant is sodium lauryl sulfate.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the plurality of composite subunits are contained within a capsule.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein the plurality of composite subunits are contained within a capsule, the blocking agent comprises Eudragit RSPO, and the surfactant is sodium lauryl sulphate, and the opioid agonist is morphine.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.