Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Sustained release aminopyridine composition|
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical composition which comprises a therapeutically effective amount of a aminopyridine dispersed in a release matrix, including, for example, a composition that can be formulated into a stable, sustained-release oral dosage formulation, such as a tablet which provides, upon administration to a patient, a therapeutically effective plasma level of the aminopyridine for a period of at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours or more and the use of the composition to treat various neurological diseases.|
|Inventor(s):||Blight; Andrew R. (Mahopac, NY), Cohen; Ron (Irvington, NY)|
|Assignee:||Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. (Ardsley, NY)|
1. A method of improving walking in a human multiple sclerosis patient in need thereof comprising orally administering to said patient a sustained release composition of 10
milligrams of 4-aminopyridine twice daily for a time period of at least two weeks, wherein the sustained release composition further comprises one or more pharmaceutically acceptable excipients.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said sustained release composition provides a mean T.sub.max in a range of about 2 to about 6 hours after administration of the sustained release composition to the patient.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the sustained release composition is capable of providing, upon administration to the patient, a release profile of the 4-aminopyridine extending over at least 6 hours.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein the sustained release composition is capable of providing, upon administration to the patient, a release profile of the 4-aminopyridine extending over at least about 12 hours.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the sustained release composition provides an average plasma concentration at steady state in humans in the range of about 15 ng/ml to about 35 ng/ml.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the 4-aminopyridine is dispersed in a rate of release controlling polymer.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the sustained release composition comprises a matrix in which the 4-aminopyridine is homogeneously dispersed that is suitable for controlling the release rate of the 4-aminopyridine.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the step of administering comprises b.i.d. administering or administering at 12 hour intervals.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.