Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods of treating hepatic encephalopathy|
|Abstract:||The application describes treatment of hepatic encephalopathy using gastrointestinal specific antibiotics. One example of a gastrointestinal specific antibiotic is rifaximin. The instant application also provides methods for determining if a subject has a neurological condition or hepatic encephalopathy by determining the critical flicker frequency and/or the venous ammonia level of the subject at two or more time points. The invention further provides methods for treating these subjects.|
|Inventor(s):||Forbes; William (Raleigh, NC), Merchant; Kunal (Durham, NC), Bortey; Enoch (Chapel Hill, NC), Shaw; Audrey (Durham, NC)|
|Assignee:||Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd (Raleigh, NC)|
1. A method of maintaining remission of hepatic encephalopathy (HE) in a subject in need thereof comprising administering between about 1000 mg to about 1200 mg rifaximin
daily to the subject for a period of 12 months or longer, thereby maintaining remission of HE.
2. The method of claim 1, further comprising administering lactulose.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject is identified as being in remission from HE prior to administration of rifaximin.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein rifaximin is administered to the subject for between about 12 to about 24 months.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein rifaximin is administered to the subject until death.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject is administered about 1100 mg of rifaximin per day.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein 550 mg of rifaximin is administered to the subject two times per day (BID).
8. The method of claim 7, wherein remission is defined as a Conn score of 0 or 1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.