|Title:||Ferric organic compounds, uses thereof and methods of making same|
|Abstract:|| The present invention discloses a novel form of ferric organic compounds, including a form of ferric citrate, which are soluble over a wider range of pH, and which have a large active surface area. The ferric organic compounds of the present invention can be delivered effectively by oral route with better delivery to treat patients suffering from hyperphosphatemia, metabolic acidosis and other disorders responsive to ferric organic compound therapy.|
|Inventor(s):|| Kwok; David W. K. (Vancouver, CA), Stoynov; Nikolay Mintchev (Vancouver, CA) |
|Assignee:|| Panion & BF Biotech Inc. (Taipei, TW) |
1. An orally administrable form of ferric citrate, prepared from ferric citrate having a BET active surface area greater than about 16 sq. m/g.
2. The orally administrable form of claim 1, wherein the ferric citrate has an intrinsic dissolution rate of 1.88 - 4.0 mg/cm.sup.2/min.
3. The orally administrable form of claim 1, wherein the BET active surface area ranges from about 16 sq. m/g to about 20 sq. m/g.
4. The orally administrable form of claim 1, wherein the ferric citrate has the formula C.sub.6H.sub.5O.sub.7Fe.
5. The orally administrable form of claim 1, wherein the orally administrable form is a tablet.