|Title:||Methods of treating hypertriglyceridemia|
|Abstract:||In various embodiments, the present invention provides methods of treating and/or preventing cardiovascular-related disease and, in particular, a method of blood lipid therapy comprising administering to a subject in need thereof a pharmaceutical composition comprising eicosapentaenoic acid or a derivative thereof.|
|Inventor(s):||Manku; Mehar (England, GB), Osterloh; Ian (Kent, GB), Wicker; Pierre (Mystic, CT), Braeckman; Rene (Richboro, PA), Soni; Paresh (Mystic, CT)|
|Assignee:||Amarin Pharmaceuticals Ireland Limited (Dublin, IE)|
1. A method of reducing triglycerides in a subject having fasting triglycerides of at least 500 mg/dl comprising, orally administering to the subject daily for at least
about 12 weeks a pharmaceutical composition comprising about 4 g of ethyl eicosapentaenoate and not more than about 4% docosahexaenoic acid or its esters, by weight of all fatty acids.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject has a fasting baseline LDL-C from about 50 mg/dl to about 300 mg/dl.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject has one or more of: a baseline fasting non-HDL-C of about 200 mg/dl to about 300 mg/dl, a baseline fasting total cholesterol of about 250 mg/dl to about 300 mg/dl, a baseline fasting VLDL-C of about 140 mg/dl to about 200 mg/dl, or a baseline fasting HDL-C of about 10 mg/dl to about 80 mg/dl.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein 12 weeks of said daily administration is effective to reduce triglycerides by at least about 30% without increasing LDL-C in subjects who have fasting triglycerides levels of at least 500 mg/dl.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein 12 weeks of said daily administration is effective to reduce apolipoprotein B in subjects who have fasting triglycerides levels of at least 500 mg/dl.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein 12 weeks of said daily administration is effective to reduce VLDL-C in subjects who have fasting triglycerides levels of at least 500 mg/dl.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject has a fasting baseline triglyceride level of 500 mg/dl to 1500 mg/dl.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the pharmaceutical composition is present in one or more dosage units.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein the dosage units are capsules.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.