Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Transdermal methods and systems for the delivery of anti-migraine compounds|
|Abstract:||Iontophoretic patches for the delivery of anti-migraine compounds and methods of using the patches are described.|
|Inventor(s):||Anderson; Carter R. (Inver Grove Heights, MN), Morris; Russell L. (Lindstrom, MN), Sebree; Terri B. (Gladwyne, PA)|
|Assignee:||NuPathe Inc. (Conshohocken, PA)|
1. A method for treating a human for a migraine, comprising transdermally administering to said human an effective amount of a triptan compound in less than one hour, and
maintaining an effective steady state plasma concentration of the triptan compound for at least one hour using an integrated iontophoretic patch, wherein said patch uses a first current density and a second current density selected such that said first
current density and said second current density do not substantially irritate said human's skin, and wherein an effective dosage level is reached in said human in less than one hour and a maintenance level is continued for one or more hours, wherein said
effective dosage level provides a plasma concentration of about 10 ng/mL or greater, such that said human is treated for said migraine.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said triptan compound is selected from sumatriptan, naratriptan and pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein said migraine is selected from familiar hemiplegic migraines (with and without aura), chronic paroxysmal headaches, cluster headaches, migraine headaches, basilar migraines, and atypical headaches accompanied by autonomic symptoms.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the effective amount provides a plasma concentration of about 20 ng/mL or greater.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said first current density and said second current density are selected such that usage of said patch for delivery of an effective amount of said triptan compound does not result in a skin erythema score of greater than 2.50 immediately after patch removal.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein said first current density and said second current density are selected such that usage of said patch for delivery of an effective amount of said triptan compound does not result in a skin erythema score of greater than 2.00 immediately after patch removal.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said patch is fully integrated.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein said human is treated without substantial side effects.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the triptan compound is formulated in a flowable hydrogel.
10. The method of claim 1, wherein said iontophoretic patch comprises an electrode which does not react to form an insoluble salt of said triptan compound.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein said electrode comprises zinc or zinc coating.
12. The method of claim 1, wherein said effective steady state plasma concentration of said triptan compound is about 10 ng/ml.
13. The method of claim 1, wherein said steady state plasma concentration is maintained for about four hours or greater.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein said steady state plasma concentration is maintained for about six hours or greater.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.