Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of providing pirfenidone therapy to a patient|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to methods for decreasing adverse events associated with pirfenidone (5-methyl-1-phenyl-2-(1H)-pyridone) therapy. The invention discloses an optimized dose escalation scheme that results in the patient having increased tolerance to adverse events associated with the administration of pirfenidone. The invention also discloses a starter pack that may be used in conjunction with the dose escalation scheme.|
|Inventor(s):||Bradford; Williamson Z. (Ross, CA)|
|Assignee:||Intermune, Inc. (Brisbane, CA)|
1. A starter pack for use in an initial dose escalation regimen which provides pirfenidone to a patient at a first oral daily dosage of 801 mg for days one to seven of the
dose escalation regimen; provides a second oral daily dosage of 1602 mg pirfenidone for days eight to fourteen of the dose escalation regimen; and provides a third oral daily dosage of 2403 mg pirfenidone for at least day fifteen of the dose escalation
regimen, the starter pack comprising a plurality of compartments for containing a dosage amount of pirfenidone arranged within rows and columns, wherein the starter pack comprises separate rows for Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14
with three separate columns for three dosage amounts to be taken each day; and wherein each of the three compartments for Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 separately contain one pill of 267-mg pirfenidone and each of the three compartments for Days 8, 9,
10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 separately contain two pills of 267-mg pirfenidone; and wherein the starter pack optionally further comprises at least one additional set of compartments for Days 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 in separate rows and each compartment
in the additional set of compartments separately contain three pills of 267-mg pirfenidone.
2. The starter pack of claim 1, further comprising a first panel comprising the compartments for days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and an additional panel for the compartments for days 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14.
3. The starter pack according to claim 1, wherein the compartments comprise blisters.
4. The starter pack according to claim 1, wherein the starter pack comprises at least two panels and at least one fold separating the two panels.
5. The starter pack of claim 1, further comprising a casing for holding several containers wherein each container comprises a panel bearing a set of compartments for Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 or Days 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14, or one of the at least one additional set of compartments.
6. An initial dose escalation regimen method for providing pirfenidone therapy to a patient in need thereof, comprising: administering pirfenidone to a patient at a first oral daily dosage of 801 mg for days one to seven of the dose escalation regimen; administering a second oral daily dosage of 1602 mg pirfenidone for days eight to fourteen of the dose escalation regimen; and administering a third oral daily dosage of 2403 mg pirfenidone for at least day fifteen of the dose escalation regimen, wherein the pirfenidone therapy is provided for a patient with a fibrosis condition.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the fibrosis condition is selected from the group consisting of Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (HPS) associated pulmonary fibrosis and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
8. The method of claim 6, further comprising instructing the patient to administer the dosage with food.
9. The method of claim 6, wherein each daily dosage is provided as a plurality of dosage forms comprising sub-daily dosages.
10. The method of claim 6, wherein each daily dosage is split into three divided doses provided three times a day.
11. The method of claim 6, wherein each oral daily dosage is provided in capsule form.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein each capsule comprises 267 mg of pirfenidone.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.