DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,323,683
|Title:||Flavoring of drug-containing chewing gums|
|Abstract:||A chewing gum comprising at least one active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) with a core onto which is applied at least one inner polymer film coating and thereafter onto which is applied at least one outer hard coating. A preferred API is nicotine. Flavoring agents may be incorporated in the core, in the at least one inner polymer film coating and/or in the at least one outer hard coating. The gums formed exhibit a long lasting effect of flavoring agent(s) and result in the domination of flavoring agents in the coating(s) over flavoring agent(s) in the core, thereby (a) avoiding problems of chemical or pharmaceutical incompatibility between an API in the core and flavoring agent(s) in the coating(s) and (b) achieving an increased control of the release of the API and of non-active excipients.|
|Inventor(s):||Mody; Seema (Montville, NJ), Koll; Gregory (Hillsborough, NJ)|
|Assignee:||McNeil-PPC, Inc. (Skillman, NJ)|
1. A chewing gum comprising: (a) a core comprising chewing gum base, nicotine in any form, a first flavoring agent, a first sweetener and at least one pH regulating agent;
(b) an inner polymer coating on the core comprising a member selected from the group consisting of hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, hydroxy propyl cellulose and mixtures thereof, a second flavoring agent in an amount from 30% to 50% by weight of said inner
polymer coating and a second sweetener wherein the amount of inner polymer coating is about 0.5% to about 20% by weight of the core; and (c) an outer hard coating on the inner polymer coating whereby the flavor perceived upon chewing of the chewing gum
predominantly is the flavor provided by the at least one second flavoring agent.
2. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said inner polymer coating further comprises a plasticizer.
3. The chewing gum according to claim 2, wherein said plasticizer is polysorbate.
4. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said inner polymer coating and said outer hard coating are devoid of any active pharmaceutical ingredient.
5. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said outer hard coating comprises at least one sweetening agent selected from natural and artificial sweeteners selected from the group consisting of: monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides, sugar alcohols, soluble saccharin salts, aspartame, neotame, chlorinated derivatives of sucrose, chlorinated derivatives of sucralose, thaumatoccous danielli, and mixtures of any of the foregoing.
6. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said inner polymer film coating further comprises one or more ingredients selected from the group consisting of: fluoride ion sources, tooth desensitizing agents, enzymes, antioxidants, pH adjusting agents, and mixtures of the foregoing.
7. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said inner polymer film coating comprises cinnamic aldehydes of cinnamon flavor.
8. The chewing gum according to claim 1, wherein said core comprises at least one first flavoring agent which is mint and the at least one inner polymer coating comprises at least one second flavoring agent selected from the group consisting of citrus, cinnamon, berry or mixed fruit.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally: